How do you find the general solution of differential equations?

In summary, solving differential equations involves separating variables, integrating both sides, and manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent and independent variables. However, it is important to note that higher derivatives do not behave like fractions and require a different approach to solve.
Fritz
I really don't understand the concept of differential equations! I'm confused about how you would go about solving them.

if (x^2).dy/dx = y^2,

integral(y^2)dy = integral(x^2)

1/3y^3 = 1/3x^3 + A

^ What have I done wrong here?

I don't get the whole thing where you separate the variables etc.

Am I right in saying that integral(dy/dx)dx = y?

Moderators, sorry I posted this twice. It was an accident.
Please can someone help me understand all of this? I understand basic differentiation and integration.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fritz said:
I really don't understand the concept of differential equations! I'm confused about how you would go about solving them.

if (x^2).dy/dx = y^2,

integral(y^2)dy = integral(x^2)

1/3y^3 = 1/3x^3 + A

^ What have I done wrong here?

I don't get the whole thing where you separate the variables etc.

Am I right in saying that integral(dy/dx)dx = y?

Moderators, sorry I posted this twice. It was an accident.
Please can someone help me understand all of this? I understand basic differentiation and integration.
Just put all variables of one sort at one side : x²dy/dx = y². This means that (1/y²)dy = (1/x²)dx and just integrate --> -(1/y) + C = -(1/x) + C'

marlon

[tex]x^{2}\frac{dy}{dx} = y^{2}[/tex]
If you rearrange that you'd see that it equals:
[tex]\frac{1}{y^2}dy = \frac{1}{x^2}dx[/tex]
And not:
[tex]y^2 dy = x^2 dx[/tex]

To solve the equation, simply take the integral of both sides.

So you substitute y for x and vice versa, take the reciprocal of both variables and then integrate?

I don't understand how you got from the first step to the second step (and then to the third)!

Fritz said:
So you substitute y for x and vice versa, take the reciprocal of both variables and then integrate?

I don't understand how you got from the first step to the second step (and then to the third)!

well the integral of (1/x²) is -(1/x), that's all...

use the rule integral of x^n = (x^(n+1)/n+1) and n = -2 here...
marlon

I understand that, but I don't get why you substituted x^2 for 1/y^2 and y^2 for 1/x^2.

It's not integrating of individual terms I'm confused about...

Fritz said:

It's simple manipulation:

[tex]a\;\frac{b}{c}=d \Rightarrow \frac{1}{d}\;b=\frac{1}{a}\;c[/tex]

I thought that dy/dx is not a fraction (and therefore cannot be rearranged)?

Last edited:
dy/dx is indeed not a fraction, but there are *some* circumstances where it can be treated as one, and this is one of them. We're just simply taking a practical approach to how to solve the equation, that is omitting some steps that always occur in the same way, to clear up the presentation.

What it is is a short hand wayo of saying that if:

f(y)dy/dx = g(x)

after rearranging, then

int f dy = int g dx

What do f dy and g dx mean? Don't you mean int f(y)dy = int f(x)dx?

I don't get what f and g on their own mean.

yes f on its own means f(y), but on the right hand side it is int g(x)dx

normally, where there is no room for confusion, it is acceptable, for example, to drop the letter t from h(t) and refer to the function simply as h.

You can treat the dy/dx like a fraction because it essentially is one. It is the ratio of two differential operators. So when you multiply both sides by the differential operator dx, you get cancellation on one side and a dx on the other.

^ Thank you. That's what I thought!

dx isn't a differential operator (it doesn't take a function and yield another function, but you don't want to get too technical about that) they are referred to as infinitesimals occasionally.

It’s not? What is it classified as then? It’s some kind of operator right?

just a differential arn't they ?

depending on whether the indeterminant is a dependent or independent variable

[tex]dx = \Delta x[/tex]
[tex]dy = f'(x) dx[/tex]

:bugeye:

JonF said:
It’s not? What is it classified as then? It’s some kind of operator right?

Hope this doesn't confuse anyone unnecessarily, but dx is the dual vector to the vector [tex]\partial_x[/tex], and is called a 1-form. It is an element of the cotangent bundle, but it is not a differential operator. (Most things can be thought of as "operators" I suppose, it's one of those frequently used ambiguous labels). A differential operator looks something like:

[tex] \mathcal{L}= \partial_{xy} - \partial_{x} +x^2\partial{_y}[/tex]

No, its a "differential", not a differential "operator".

I would be very reluctant to tell anyone "You can treat the dy/dx like a fraction because it essentially is one."

In standard calculus, dy/dx is defined as the limit of the fraction Δy/Δx, NOTas the fraction "dy" over "dx". One can then show that, generally, one can treat dy/dx as if it were a fraction by going back before the limit, using the fact that Δy/Δx is a fraction and then going forward again. Typically, one then defines the "differentials" dy and dx separately in a purely symbolic manner.

Yes, it is possible to define the derivative in terms of "infinitesmals", dx and dy, from the start ("non-standard calculus") but to define "infinitesmals" rigorously requires some very deep logical gymnastics!

Another caveat, and a demonstrable one, is that although dy/dx behaves as a fraction, second and higher derivatives do not (nor do partial derivatives)

everyone knows that (dy/dx)^{-1}= dx/dy but it is certainly not true that

(d^2y/dx^2)^{-1} = d^2x/dy^2

and it is quite instructive to actually try and work out the proper relationship.

matt grime said:
Another caveat, and a demonstrable one, is that although dy/dx behaves as a fraction, second and higher derivatives do not (nor do partial derivatives)

everyone knows that (dy/dx)^{-1}= dx/dy but it is certainly not true that

(d^2y/dx^2)^{-1} = d^2x/dy^2

and it is quite instructive to actually try and work out the proper relationship.

In fact, that's one of the reasons the superscript numbers are place in different positions in the "numerator and denominator": in order that
1/(d2y/dx2)= dx2/d2y makes no sense!

You'd be surprised at the number of students I have taught who didn't believe me when I told them this fact, though. Then there's the always amusing:

suppose f(x,y,z)=0 is used to define each variable implicitly as a function of the other two, show that:

[tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = -1[/tex]

geez i think you guys are making this way too complicated. the symbol "dx" is simply another way of saying "a teensie bit of x", and of course can be treated as a fraction. (as far as a novice calculus student is concerned) That guy Silvanus Thompson did it well in his "Calculus Made Easy" book.

So, what's 1/dx then?

matt grime said:
So, what's 1/dx then?
I’ll go with undefined…

And thanks guys. Just getting into linear algebra, thought I knew what I was talking about…

fourier jr said:
geez i think you guys are making this way too complicated. the symbol "dx" is simply another way of saying "a teensie bit of x", and of course can be treated as a fraction. (as far as a novice calculus student is concerned) That guy Silvanus Thompson did it well in his "Calculus Made Easy" book.

So I guess, being easy, it doesn't matter if it is wrong?

HallsofIvy said:
So I guess, being easy, it doesn't matter if it is wrong?
I think great Isaac (N. that is) made a brilliant analogy when he emphasized that "the fluxion" couldn't be regarded as a fraction between two numbers:

He simply noted that if we have a fractional expression where we let both the numerator and denominator go to infinity, but where that expression still converged to some number, no one would say that the infinity in the numerator was a NUMBER, just as little as someone would say the infinity in the denominator was a NUMBER.

JonF said:
I’ll go with undefined…

And thanks guys. Just getting into linear algebra, thought I knew what I was talking about…

What's this got to do with linear algebra? you can safely learn linear algebra without any reference to what's going on here. Indeed you shouldn't use any of this in *learning* linear algebra. The stuff I talked about, dual vectors of the tangent bundle, and so on, is safely a graduate level subject in the US, and in most of the UK too.

1. How do you know when a differential equation has a general solution?

The general solution of a differential equation is a function or set of functions that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. It is typically found by solving for the arbitrary constants in the equation. If the constants are not specified, then the solution is considered the general solution.

2. What methods can be used to find the general solution of a differential equation?

There are several methods that can be used to find the general solution of a differential equation, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using integrating factors. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of equations.

3. Can a differential equation have multiple general solutions?

It is possible for a differential equation to have multiple general solutions. This typically occurs when there are multiple arbitrary constants in the solution. In this case, the arbitrary constants can take on different values, resulting in different general solutions.

4. How do you check if a general solution is correct?

To check if a general solution is correct, it can be substituted into the original differential equation. If it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable, then it is a valid solution. Additionally, the general solution should also satisfy any initial conditions that are given.

5. Are there any software programs that can find the general solution of a differential equation?

Yes, there are many software programs that can find the general solution of a differential equation, such as Wolfram Alpha, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to approximate the solution, which can be helpful for complex equations that are difficult to solve by hand.