Does Palladium and Sulfur Demonstrate the Law of Multiple Proportions?

In summary, the problem involves three compounds of palladium and sulfur with different ratios of sulfur to palladium. These ratios are consistent with the law of multiple proportions, which states that the ratios should be small integers. The ratios in this problem are not consecutive, but they still follow the law.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

The Problem goes as follows:

Palladium forms three different compounds with sulfur. The mass of sulfur per gram of palladium in each compound is listed below:

Compound Grams S per Gram Pd
A 0.603
B 0.301
C 0.151

Show that these masses are consistent with the law of multiple proportions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel as though this is a trick question: when I venture to find the ratio between C and B I come up with 2; but, when I multiple 3 by .151, I don't come out with .603. As I type this I am beginning to feel that I don't quite understand the ratio. Could some explain to me if this problem follows the Law of Multiple proportion; and, if so, how? And also, why doesn't multiplying .151 by 3 yield .603? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Compound Grams S per Gram Pd
A 0.603
B 0.301
C 0.151

Notice how each of the three ratios of S to Pd is different. A is two times B, and B is two times C.

Bashyboy said:
why doesn't multiplying .151 by 3 yield .603?

Because it yields 0.453?

Seriously: law of multiple proportions says that ratios are small integers, it doesn't say they have to be consecutive.

Thank you both.

for your time

The Law of Multiple Proportions states that when two elements combine to form more than one compound, the masses of one element that combine with a fixed mass of the other element are in a ratio of small whole numbers. In this case, the element sulfur is combining with the element palladium to form three different compounds.

To determine if this problem follows the Law of Multiple Proportions, we need to look at the ratios between the masses of sulfur and palladium in each compound.

For compound A, the ratio is 0.603 grams of sulfur per 1 gram of palladium.
For compound B, the ratio is 0.301 grams of sulfur per 1 gram of palladium.
For compound C, the ratio is 0.151 grams of sulfur per 1 gram of palladium.

We can see that the ratios between the masses of sulfur and palladium in each compound are all small whole numbers (2, 1, and 0.5). This is consistent with the Law of Multiple Proportions, as the ratios are all in a simple integer ratio.

The confusion with the multiplication of 0.151 by 3 may be due to rounding errors. The actual mass of sulfur per gram of palladium in compound C may not be exactly 0.151, but rather a slightly different value that when multiplied by 3, yields a slightly different value than 0.603. However, this does not affect the validity of the ratios and their consistency with the Law of Multiple Proportions.

In conclusion, the masses of sulfur per gram of palladium in each compound are consistent with the Law of Multiple Proportions, as the ratios between the masses are in simple integer ratios.

What is the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions states that when two elements combine to form more than one compound, the ratio of the masses of one element that combine with a fixed mass of the other element can be expressed in small whole numbers.

Who discovered the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The Law of Multiple Proportions was first described by John Dalton in the early 19th century.

What evidence supports the Law of Multiple Proportions?

The evidence supporting this law comes from the observation of multiple compounds formed by the same elements and the determination of their ratios in terms of small whole numbers.

How does the Law of Multiple Proportions relate to the atomic theory?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is a fundamental principle of the atomic theory, as it suggests that elements are composed of individual atoms that combine in fixed ratios to form compounds.

What is the significance of the Law of Multiple Proportions in chemistry?

The Law of Multiple Proportions is significant because it provides a basis for understanding the composition of chemical compounds and their relationships to the elements that make them up. It also supports the idea that atoms are the building blocks of matter and that they combine in predictable ways.