Is there a better way to find the roots of a quadratic equation?

• Thread starter trap
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Newton-Raphson method for finding the roots of an equation. It is shown that if x1 > 0 is an initial estimate for root(a), then the iteration formula is Xn-1 = (1/2)(Xn + a/Xn), n>=1. However, there is confusion about the formula and it is clarified that it should be Xn+1 = (1/2)(Xn + a/Xn), n>=1. The conversation then moves on to discussing the application of the Newton-Raphson method and the computation of f'(x). The conversation ends with a question about the TA and a confirmation that the individuals are taking the same course.
trap
Let f(x)=x^2 - a, where a>0. The roots of the equation f(x)=0 are +root(a), -root(a).

Show that if x1 > 0 is any initial estimate for root(a), then the Newton-Raphson method gives the iteration formula

x n-1 = 1/2( xn + a/xn ),

n>=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, the last post wasn't clear, the iteration formula is..

Xn-1 = (1/2)(Xn + a/Xn) , n >= 1

trap said:
Sorry, the last post wasn't clear, the iteration formula is..

Xn-1 = (1/2)(Xn + a/Xn) , n >= 1

Shouldn't this be:
Xn+1 = (1/2)(Xn + a/Xn) , n >= 1

Did you apply the Newton-raphson method Xn+1=Xn-f(xn)/f'(xn) ?

yes, it's Xn-1 instead, my fault
I tried the Newton's method, but still have trouble solving the question

trap said:
yes, it's Xn-1 instead, my fault
I tried the Newton's method, but still have trouble solving the question

Can you show what you did? The given formula arrives almost immediately by applying the method.

Newtons Method is;

[tex] x_{n+1} = x_n - \frac {f(x_n)} {f'(x_n)} [/tex]

You are given

[tex] f(x)= x^2 - a [/tex]

Compute [tex] f'(x) = 2x [/tex]

Now apply Newtons method:
[tex]x_{n+1}= x_{n}- \frac {f(x_n)} {f'(x_n)} = x_n - \frac {x_n^2 - a } {2x_n} = \frac { 2 x^2_n - x^2_n +a} {2x_n}= \frac {x^2_n + a} {2x_n} = \frac 1 2 ( x_n + \frac a {x_n})[/tex]

Last edited:
trap, who is your TA?

thx for the help guys!

? Answer me

kataKonik, hi..you must be taking the same course as i am...

Yes, that is why I asked you that question.

well...I'm not even sure if i can use the web to help me with these problem sets..so i just want to keep my identity as a secret

1. What is the Newton-Raphson method?

The Newton-Raphson method is an iterative algorithm used to find the roots of a function. It is based on the idea of approximating the root of a function by using the tangent line at a given point on the function.

2. How does the Newton-Raphson method work?

The Newton-Raphson method starts with an initial guess for the root of a function. It then uses the derivative of the function to calculate a better approximation of the root. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using the Newton-Raphson method?

The Newton-Raphson method is a fast and efficient way to find the roots of a function. It also has a high level of accuracy, especially for functions with multiple roots.

4. What are the limitations of the Newton-Raphson method?

The Newton-Raphson method may not converge if the initial guess is too far from the true root or if the function has multiple roots in close proximity. It also requires knowledge of the derivative of the function, which may not always be available.

5. In what fields is the Newton-Raphson method commonly used?

The Newton-Raphson method is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics for solving non-linear equations and optimization problems. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence for finding the minimum of a cost function.