2 best scifi books I've read in 10 years

In summary, The conversation discusses the books Anvil of Stars and Forge of God by Greg Bear. The topic of the author's personal beliefs, particularly his alleged homophobia, is brought up. The mention of Orson Scott Card and his controversial views is also made. There is a conspiracy theory involving Michelle Obama becoming Barack Obama's "successor" and the creation of a national police force. The conversation then shifts to the author's writing and personal character. One person mentions reading Hull Zero Three and not being impressed.
solar71
Greg Bears

Book one:
Anvil of Stars

Book two:
Forge of God

Anyone else a fan of these books?
I guess I am just a hard scifi addict.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a fan of the author (homophobic), but Ender's Game was a killer.

Is Greg Bear a homosexual? I had no idea.
Are you serious?

turbo said:
I am not a fan of the author (homophobic), but Ender's Game was a killer.

Greg bear didn't write Enders game, Orson Scott card did. He's in hot water again, though I'm not sure why the piece he wrote in May is in the news today.

This is the recent piece gmax is referring to, it adds tin-foil conspiracy theorist to the list of Card's characteristics

This is because Michelle Obama is going to be Barack's Lurleen Wallace. Remember how George Wallace got around Alabama's ban on governors serving two terms in a row? He ran his wife for the office. Everyone knew Wallace would actually be pulling the strings, even though they denied it.

Michelle Obama will be Obama's designated "successor," and any Democrat who seriously opposes her will be destroyed in the media the way everyone who contested Obama's run for the Democratic nomination in 2008 was destroyed.

But the plan goes deeper than this. Barack Obama, like Hitler and the Iranian dictators, announced his plan, though the media (as with Hitler) has "forgotten" it.

Barack Obama needs to have a source of military power that is under his direct control. Like Hitler, he needs a powerful domestic army to terrify any opposition that might arise.

Obama called for a "national police force" in 2008, though he never gave a clue about why such a thing would be necessary. We have the National Guard. We have the armed forces. The FBI. The Secret Service. And all the local and state police forces.

The trouble is that all of these groups have long independent histories and none of them is reliably under Barack Obama's personal control. He needs Brown Shirts -- thugs who will do his bidding without any reference to law.

Obama will claim we need a national police force in order to fight terrorism and crime. The Boston bombing is a useful start, especially when combined with random shootings by crazy people.

Where will he get his "national police"? The NaPo will be recruited from "young out-of-work urban men" and it will be hailed as a cure for the economic malaise of the inner cities.

In other words, Obama will put a thin veneer of training and military structure on urban gangs, and send them out to channel their violence against Obama's enemies.

Instead of doing drive-by shootings in their own neighborhoods, these young thugs will do beatings and murders of people "trying to escape" -- people who all seem to be leaders and members of groups that oppose Obama.

Already the thugs who serve the far left agenda of Obama's team do systematic character assassination as a means of intimidating their opponents into silence. But physical beatings and "legal" disappearances will be even more effective -- as Hitler and Putin and many other dictators have demonstrated over and over.
http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2013-05-09-1.html

Greg Bear is one of my favorites, SF or otherwise. Especially his Forge of God--IMO one of the best. His other near-future series, Quantico and Mariposa, are superb also.

Last edited:
i read this author's Hull Zero Three, not impressed by it.

What are the two best science fiction books you have read in the past 10 years?

I would say the two best science fiction books I have read in the past 10 years are "The Martian" by Andy Weir and "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline.

What makes these books stand out compared to other science fiction books?

Both "The Martian" and "Ready Player One" have unique and captivating storylines that keep the reader engaged from beginning to end. They also have well-developed characters and thought-provoking themes that make them stand out in the world of science fiction.

Are these books suitable for all ages or are they geared towards a specific audience?

Both "The Martian" and "Ready Player One" can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. However, some of the themes and language in "Ready Player One" may be more suitable for older readers.

What elements of science fiction are present in these books?

Both books contain elements of hard science fiction, with "The Martian" focusing on the challenges of survival on another planet and "Ready Player One" incorporating futuristic technology and virtual reality. They also both touch on themes of exploration, human resilience, and the impact of technology on society.

Would you recommend these books to others who are interested in science fiction?

Absolutely! I highly recommend both "The Martian" and "Ready Player One" to anyone who enjoys science fiction. They are both well-written, entertaining, and thought-provoking reads that I believe will appeal to a wide range of readers.