Proving three 3D points are collinear with Cross Product

In summary: The magnitude of the cross product is the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. When that area is 0, the vectors are either parallel or one of them is the zero vector.
Masschaos
Hi.
I've been studying for a test and have been scouring my text for methods of proving points in 3-dimensional space are collinear.
The best I can see is that the cross-product of the vectors must equal zero.
Can someone explain how to do this a little more clearly?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a, b and c are three points and there's a number t such that c = a + t(b-a), then a, b and c are collinear. Conversely, if they're collinear, then there's a number t such that c = a + t(b-a), and their triple product will equal zero: a.(b x c) = 0.

You haven't defined what you mean by the cross product of three vectors. But if you mean something like "a x (b x c)", then it's not true. For example, take

a = < 5, 5, 5 >

b = < 1, 3, 9 >

c = < -16, -8, 16 > = a + 4(b-a)

a x (b x c) = < -11, -3, 21 >

EDIT: I've just corrected a mistake I made. In the first version of this post, I wrote c = t(b-a), where I should have written c = a + t(b-a).

Last edited:
(a-b)x(b-c)=0
or axb+bxc+cxa=0

Ahh, I think I understand a little better.
What I understand is that if I have points A, B, and C. I can find the line AB and AC. If I do the following (AB)/(AC) and find that vectors i, j and k all have the same factor. Then is that proof that they are collinear.

Example
AB = (1,1,1)
AC = (3,3,3)
(AB)/(AC) = (1/3, 1/3, 1/3).

As AB and AC are all multiples of that base factor, they are collinear?
Or have I gone off on a tangent?

Yes - although careful with that method: you might get a situation where you're trying to divide by zero, and so don't get any result that way, even though the points may be collinear. (Think of what happens when the points all lie in one of the coordinate planes.)

Masschaos said:
Example
AB = (1,1,1)
AC = (3,3,3)

Are you placing A is at the origin? (If you do then that's one way to make life a lot easier).

Masschaos said:
Ahh, I think I understand a little better.
What I understand is that if I have points A, B, and C. I can find the line AB and AC. If I do the following (AB)/(AC) and find that vectors i, j and k all have the same factor. Then is that proof that they are collinear.

Example
AB = (1,1,1)
AC = (3,3,3)

Or have I gone off on a tangent?

I don't care for the AB/AC notation. All you need to note is AC is a constant times AB. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be collinear.

Masschaos said:
Hi.
I've been studying for a test and have been scouring my text for methods of proving points in 3-dimensional space are collinear.

mainly because if the points are co-linear, you have a parellpiped with volume zero..

Masschaos said:
Hi.

Hammie said:
mainly because if the points are co-linear, you have a parellpiped with volume zero..

No. For that calculation you need three coplanar vectors, and the calculation would be the triple scalar (box) product A dot (B cross C). Not the same test as for parallel vectors.

Ahh thanks.
I understand much better now.

Some Pig said:
(a-b)x(b-c)=0
or axb+bxc+cxa=0

To be a bit more precise

If a b and c are points in a plane
Then <a -b> and <b-c> are direction vectors in the plane

If the points are on the same line, then the angle between them is 0 degrees

Since <a -b> x <b-c> = || <a -b> || || <b-c> || sin x
If x = 0 then sin x = 0 so

<a -b> x <b-c> = 0

Related to Proving three 3D points are collinear with Cross Product

1. How do you prove three 3D points are collinear with Cross Product?

The cross product of two vectors can be used to determine if the vectors are parallel, and therefore, if three points are collinear. To do this, you would first find the vectors formed by two of the points and then take the cross product of those vectors. If the resulting vector is equal to the third vector formed by the points, then the points are collinear.

2. Can you explain the concept of cross product in relation to collinearity?

The cross product of two vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. If the cross product of two vectors is equal to a third vector, it indicates that the two original vectors are parallel and therefore, the three points are collinear.

3. What is the mathematical formula for the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors, u and v, is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the components of the two vectors. The formula is:
u x v = | i j k |
| u1 u2 u3 |
| v1 v2 v3 |

4. Can the cross product method be used to prove collinearity in higher dimensions?

Yes, the cross product method can be extended to higher dimensions. In n-dimensional space, the cross product is defined as the vector that is perpendicular to all of the n-1 vectors formed by the original vectors. If this vector is equal to the nth vector, then the points are collinear.

5. Are there any other methods for proving collinearity besides using the cross product?

Yes, there are other methods for proving collinearity, such as using the slope formula or calculating the distances between the points. However, the cross product method is often preferred as it is more efficient and can be applied to higher dimensions.