Conformal Mapping: Transform a Circle to a Rectangle

In summary, the figure shows how a circle can be mapped to a rectangle using a Mobius transformation.
Carol_m
Hello!

Please I need some help with this:

Is it possible to transform a circle into a rectangle? If so what would be the expressions of x' and y' in terms of x and y.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is that it is possible (if you mean transforming the interiors). Indeed, any simply connected ("no holes") nonempty proper subset of the plane can be mapped conformally to any other. This is the Riemann mapping theorem.

Though the transformation exists, finding it explicitly is another matter entirely. According to Mathworld it can be explicitly written down using elliptic functions but I don't know how much use that is.

Dear henry_m,

Thank you very much for your reply. Could you please give me a reference to this so I can find the explicit formula?

Thanks again!

Have you tried using the transformation from polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates?

The hardest part of what you are looking for is the Schwarz–Christoffel transformation. It maps the upper half plane to a polygon. The mapping is in the form of an integral; this integral is the source of the elliptic functions henry_m mentioned.

So one approach is to map a circle to the upper half plane using a Mobius transformation, then use a Schwarz-Christoffel to map the upper half plane to rectangle. Both of these have parameters that you will need to determine for your particular problem.

Good luck!

jason

Basically my question is:

I have a circle an every point in the circle as (x,y). I need a transformation that changes every point in the circle to a point in a rectangle (x',y') so I could write x' in terms of x and y' in terms of y.

If you look in the attachement you can see what I mean :)

ps. I am not that concern about the base of the rectangle it could be circular so that y=y' but I am stuck with the x'

Thank you!

Attachments

• transformation.jpg
    transformation.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 408
Carol_m said:
Basically my question is:

I have a circle an every point in the circle as (x,y). I need a transformation that changes every point in the circle to a point in a rectangle (x',y') so I could write x' in terms of x and y' in terms of y.

If you look in the attachement you can see what I mean :)

ps. I am not that concern about the base of the rectangle it could be circular so that y=y' but I am stuck with the x'

Thank you!

If your mapping needs to be conformal, as indicated by your post title, then my previous post should give you the words you need to search for either in Google or a complex analysis book; this should point you in the right direction so that you can figure out your mapping. By the way, the Mobius transformation is the same as the "linear fractional" transformation, which may help in your search.

Hi JasonRF,

It certainly needs to be conformal... Thank you for your great answer I will look into this direction, and sorry I posted my reply with the attached figure before reading yours.

1. What is a conformal mapping?

A conformal mapping is a mathematical function that preserves angles and shapes. In other words, it is a transformation that maintains the local geometry of a shape.

2. How does a conformal mapping transform a circle to a rectangle?

In a conformal mapping, the circle and the rectangle are considered to be two different shapes in different coordinate systems. The mapping function is used to transform the coordinates of points on the circle to points on the rectangle, while preserving the angles and shapes.

3. What are the applications of conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of complex analysis, fluid mechanics, electrostatics, and heat transfer, to name a few. It is also used in cartography to create accurate maps.

4. How is a conformal mapping different from a conformal transformation?

Although the terms are often used interchangeably, there is a subtle difference between conformal mapping and conformal transformation. Conformal mapping refers to the transformation of coordinates, while conformal transformation refers to the transformation of a function or equation that describes a shape.

5. Are there limitations to conformal mapping?

Yes, there are limitations to conformal mapping. It can only be applied to shapes that are simply connected, meaning there are no holes or intersecting regions. Additionally, conformal mapping may not be able to preserve the same distance between points on the transformed shape, depending on the complexity of the original shape.