Trigonometry made more rational

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "rational trigonometry" which is seen as a more practical and efficient way of approaching trigonometry problems. It is praised for simplifying a traditionally difficult subject and is credited to the work of mathematicians who continuously explore new methods and techniques. The idea of "alternative" geometry, which rejects traditional concepts, is also mentioned but is deemed to have no real mathematical value. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that mathematics is a subject of logic and rationality, and with the belief that anyone can achieve greatness in this field.
greg perry
Trigonometry made more "rational"

I read an article the other day on "rational trigonometry" and decided to go exploring... and I feel as if a lightbulb has turned on. This seems like such a wonderful new technique to doing otherwise cumbersome problems, and I agree that it does feel like a more "rational approach" to the subject. I only wish this would have been available doing my university days, but am happy to see work being done to simplify what is often presented as a difficult and often cumbersome subject. Thank you to all mathematicians who make it their life's work to explore new and exciting paths... especially in the field of trigonemtry!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This silly "alternative" geometry which "rejects" the distance concept in favour of the squared distance (so that one avoids the square root) and other pointless substitutions has already been debated at PF somewhere, and is of no mathematical worth whatsoever.

Last edited:
Basically, the guy has rediscovered the notion of dot product and cross product, but has presented it in a more cumbersome form.

And yes, dot products and cross products are very nice things indeed. (But I wouldn't eschew trigonometry completely in their favor!)

Well, if you really think of it, Maths is a subjects of playing with sympols with logic and rational...the matter is how human find out the links between these and they are really great! And I think every of us will be as great as them too!

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, architecture, physics, and astronomy to solve problems involving angles and distances.

3. What does "making trigonometry more rational" mean?

Making trigonometry more rational means simplifying and rationalizing the formulas and concepts of trigonometry to make it easier to understand and apply in real world situations.

4. What are some common trigonometric functions?

Some common trigonometric functions include sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of trigonometry, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the various formulas and concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or online resources for additional support.