Is Biochemistry a Secure Field for Job Outsourcing?

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential of biochemistry as a career path, both in terms of employment and academic opportunities. It was mentioned that biochemistry is a hot field with advancements being made in biological systems and the possibility of a new type of DNA structure being discovered in humans. However, there was also concern about the job prospects outside of academia, with only a few industries currently hiring biochemistry majors. It was noted that a biochemistry degree could provide a strong foundation for further studies in medicine or pharmacy, which are in high demand. The conversation also touched on the possibility of outsourcing in the pharmaceutical industry and how it could affect job opportunities for biochemists. The consensus was that while outsourcing may be a concern, biochemistry is still
N5soulkishin
For those of you familiar with my last post was about the career stuff. well i narrowed it down to biochemist. this part is just for fun and unrelated project that is already finished. i just want to know if biochemistry is a good field to go into for both academic careers and industry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Biochemistry will be a hot field for years to come. If it's something you have a passion for, there is no reason for debate. :)

Really? How/why?

There has been made a lot of progress in biological systems only on what we've got of this decade, research should be increasing every day from now. Also, the discover of a new type of DNA structure in humans would be a revolution in biological sciences.

Is biochemistry really such a hot field in terms of employment? I wonder because outside of academia, the only employers for biochemistry majors that I can think of are the pharmaceutical industry and the food-processing industry. And I'm not certain if either sectors are hiring that many biochemists.

That being said, a biochemistry degree does give a strong foundation to pursue further studies in medicine or pharmacy, and there is a strong demand for both doctors and pharmacists.

StatGuy2000 said:
Is biochemistry really such a hot field in terms of employment? I wonder because outside of academia, the only employers for biochemistry majors that I can think of are the pharmaceutical industry and the food-processing industry. And I'm not certain if either sectors are hiring that many biochemists.

That being said, a biochemistry degree does give a strong foundation to pursue further studies in medicine or pharmacy, and there is a strong demand for both doctors and pharmacists.
Arent biochemist the type of people they would hire?

The pharmaceutical industry is a huge industry which is only likely to get bigger and more profitable as indirect government subsidies get higher and the government rolls over and extends them longer patent times.

jesse73 said:
Arent biochemist the type of people they would hire?

The pharmaceutical industry is a huge industry which is only likely to get bigger and more profitable as indirect government subsidies get higher and the government rolls over and extends them longer patent times.

The pharmaceutical industry is indeed a huge industry, but it is not immune to downsizing. In fact, there has been considerable consolidation of the pharma industry in the last few years with large scale mergers (e.g. Merck acquiring Schering-Plough). Also, increasingly various aspects of clinical research (for example, statistical analysis, data management, medical affairs) has been outsourced to various clinical research organizations (CROs) -- essentially external contractors. I can see a scenario where much of the bench research work at pharma companies could also be outsourced (if they aren't already).

They likely won't outsource abroad because in the countries they would get savings in labor they are more likely to lose their intellectual property so most of the outsourcing will go to some contractor in the same country so instead of working for Merck you work for their contractor company X for less money but nonetheless it is still a job.

It is less susceptible for outsourcing than any analysis done on a computer that isn't as sensitive in regards to IP. A lot of regular statistical analysis is much more susceptible because there is no IP law protecting the results.

If you put the same perspective on any industry than no industry is hot because the general trend is to outsource. However defense, pharmaceutical and software companies have more to lose by outsourcing if they can't assure as safe an IP environment as the US or Europe.

1. Is biochemistry a good field for job opportunities?

Yes, biochemistry is a rapidly growing field with a high demand for professionals in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, agriculture, and healthcare. With advancements in technology and research, the job market for biochemists is expected to continue to grow.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in biochemistry?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and critical thinking abilities are essential for a successful career in biochemistry. Additionally, having a strong foundation in chemistry, biology, and mathematics is crucial for understanding the complex biochemical processes.

3. What type of education is needed to become a biochemist?

Most biochemistry positions require at least a bachelor's degree in biochemistry or a related field such as chemistry or biology. For more advanced positions, a master's or doctoral degree may be required.

4. What are the job prospects for biochemists?

The job outlook for biochemists is very favorable. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for biochemists is projected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations, with a 4% increase from 2019 to 2029.

5. Are there opportunities for advancement in a biochemistry career?

Yes, there are many opportunities for career advancement in biochemistry. With experience and additional education, biochemists can advance to higher-level positions such as research team leader, project manager, or university professor.