Can Massless Photons Carry Momentum?

In summary, the article discusses the photon, which has no mass, and how it can carry momentum. It also discusses how the momentum of a photon is related to its energy and temperature.
MonstersFromTheId
Do photons "carry momentum"?

I was just reading this article in the NY Times,..

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/13/s...tml?ex=1175918400&en=d898bf8d246a0844&ei=5070

And THIS sentence just doesn't make ANY sense to me...

"Particles of light, or photons, have no mass, but they carry momentum."

What? P=mv. If m=0, P=0. If something is massless, how in the hell could it possibly carry ANY momentum - at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
MonstersFromTheId said:
What? P=mv. If m=0, P=0. If something is massless, how in the hell could it possibly carry ANY momentum - at all?
P = mv only applies to massive particles traveling at speeds slow compared to the speed of light. A more general relationship, good for any particle at any speed, is:
[tex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/tex]

Where E is energy, p is momentum, and c is the speed of light. The massless photon has a momentum equal to: p = E/c.

Thank you SO much!

Someone also once told me that E=mc^2 is ALSO a special case where a second term drops out, ie. E=mc^2 + (sumpthin)?

Is that also true?

Yes, that comes from the same equation. E = mc^2 is the rest energy of a particle. Thus the momentum is zero and the p^2c^2 term drops out.

So the broader aplication would be...

E=mc^2 + pc or E=mc^2 + mvc?

MonstersFromTheId said:
So the broader aplication would be...

E=mc^2 + pc or E=mc^2 + mvc?
No. The broader equation is the one I gave above:

[tex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/tex]

Remember: p doesn't equal mv! And the square root of a sum is not the sum of the square roots! (2 + 2)^2 does not equal 2^2 + 2^2!

How would temperature figure into all this?

For example; if you had, say, a one kilogram mass with a temperature of -270C (i.e. *really* cold), traveling at three quarter light speed, and another one kilogram mass, also traveling at three quarter light speed, but at a temperature of 900C, how would you compare the energy states of the two?

Monsters
(Smacks head)
Idiot!
Sorry for the Curly from the 3 stooges moment.
"Whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop!"
Got a cold and I'm a little buzzed on Nyquil and no sleep.

MonstersFromTheId said:
How would temperature figure into all this?

For example; if you had, say, a one kilogram mass with a temperature of -270C (i.e. *really* cold), traveling at three quarter light speed, and another one kilogram mass, also traveling at three quarter light speed, but at a temperature of 900C, how would you compare the energy states of the two?
Not sure what you are asking, but a hot object has more energy than a cold one. (By that I mean: Take two identical one kg masses at the same temperature. Now heat one to a higher temperature: its total energy will be greater.)

"Not sure what you are asking,..."

Honestly, neither am I, and frankly I'm just too "out of it" at the moment to think straight. Time to roll around in bed and pretend to sleep I guess.

;-).

I'll get my thoughts together and ask more cohierent q's after a few Z's.
Thanks SO much for your patience though Doc. 'Preciated, really do.

1. Do photons carry momentum?

Yes, photons do carry momentum. According to the laws of physics, all particles that have energy also have momentum. Since photons have energy, they also have momentum.

2. How can photons have momentum if they have no mass?

While photons do not have rest mass, they do have relativistic mass. This means that they have an equivalent mass due to their energy. This mass is what gives them momentum.

3. How is the momentum of a photon calculated?

The momentum of a photon is calculated using the equation p = E/c, where p is the momentum, E is the energy, and c is the speed of light. This equation is derived from Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

4. Do photons always have the same momentum?

No, the momentum of a photon can vary depending on its energy. Photons with higher energy will have a higher momentum, while photons with lower energy will have a lower momentum. However, the speed of light remains constant for all photons.

5. How does the momentum of a photon affect its behavior?

The momentum of a photon determines how it behaves when interacting with matter. For example, photons with higher momentum will have a shorter wavelength and higher frequency, making them more energetic and able to cause changes in matter. This is why high-energy photons such as X-rays and gamma rays are able to penetrate through materials.