Why is slope represented as delta y over delta x?

In summary, the derivative coefficient \frac{dy}{dx} represents the rate of change of the dependent variable "y" relative to the independent variable "x". This is why the change in "y" is in the numerator and the change in "x" is in the denominator. While it is possible to represent slope as delta x over delta y, it is not commonly used because we are typically interested in how the dependent variable changes relative to the independent variable.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

You always see slope represented as [itex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/itex]. Is there any particular reason for why the change in "y" is in the numerator and the change in "x" in the denominator? Why couldn't we represent it as delta x over delta y?

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was looking at the derivative coefficient [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] late last night and couldn't figure out why its delta y over delta x. Could someone fill me in on the logic behind this? why can't slope be represented as delta x over delta y?

Physics news on Phys.org
vanmaiden said:
You always see slope represented as [itex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/itex]. Is there any particular reason for why the change in "y" is in the numerator and the change in "x" in the denominator??
Er, what do you think the slope of a line is? (I'm not asking how do you think slope is computed, I'm asking what you think it actually is)

Haha, I think that slope is rise over run. I guess what I'm trying to say is that why can't it be run over rise? lol.

I think it can:uhh:
i.e.

y = 1/2x
Rise 1, Run 2

x = 2y

Run 2, Rise 1

When you have y as a function of x, the derivative tells you how fast y changes relative to x.
We typically think of the dependent variable as changing because the independent variable changes and are interested in how fast the dependent variable changes relative to the independent variable.
We are seldom interested in how fast the independent variable changes relative to the dependent variable.

If, for example, y represents distance traveled, in miles, as a function of time, x, in hours, dy/dx is the "speed" in miles per hour. "dx/dy" would be hours per mile. It's a perfectly good calculation, but not one we typically use.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
We are seldom interested in how fast the independent variable changes relative to the dependent variable.

If, for example, y represents distance traveled, in miles, as a function of time, x, in hours, dy/dx is the "speed" in miles per hour. "dx/dy" would be hours per mile. It's a perfectly good calculation, but not one we typically use.

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you HallsofIvy! I figured that you could calculate the rate of change of the independent variable relative to the rate of the dependent variable, but I was wondering why it wasn't used. Thanks again!

Thank you all else who helped me as well! (:

1. What is slope representation logic?

Slope representation logic is a mathematical and logical system used to represent and analyze the relationships between variables in a linear equation. It involves the use of a slope, or rate of change, to describe how one variable changes in relation to another.

2. How is slope representation logic used in science?

Slope representation logic is commonly used in science to analyze data and make predictions. It can be used to describe the relationships between variables in experiments, as well as to model and predict future trends based on existing data.

3. What are the key components of slope representation logic?

The key components of slope representation logic include the slope, which represents the rate of change between two variables, and the y-intercept, which represents the starting point of the relationship between the two variables. This logic also involves using the slope formula (m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)) to calculate the slope.

4. How is slope representation logic different from other mathematical systems?

Slope representation logic is different from other mathematical systems in that it specifically focuses on the relationship between two variables and how they change in relation to each other. It also involves the use of a graphical representation, such as a line or scatter plot, to visualize the relationship.

5. What are the practical applications of slope representation logic?

Slope representation logic has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to analyze data and make predictions about future trends, as well as to design experiments and systems that involve linear relationships between variables.