This always pisses me off. what is -X^n?

• Thread starter Curd
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of -X^n and its precedence in mathematical operations. It is clarified that the negative sign represents multiplication by -1 and, according to the order of operations, should be evaluated after exponents.
Curd
i see things along the lines of -X^n quite frequently.

is this meant to represent (-X)^n or -(X^n)

Physics news on Phys.org
Curd said:
i see things along the lines of -X^n quite frequently.

is this meant to represent (-X)^n or -(X^n)
The second - -(X^n)

Precedence of Operations: "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally"
First do what every is in parentheses, then exponents, then multiplication, then division, then addition, then subtraction. (Of course, you can interchange multiplication and division and interchange additon and subtraction.)

The negative in [itex]-x^n[/itex] represents multiplication by -1. Since exponents take precedenct that is [itex]-(x^n)[/itex] as Mark44 said.

What is the meaning of "This always pisses me off. what is -X^n?"

The phrase "This always pisses me off. what is -X^n?" is likely referring to a mathematical expression, where X represents a variable and n represents an exponent. The negative sign in front of X means that the value of X is being raised to a negative power.

What does the negative exponent mean in -X^n?

A negative exponent means that the value of the base (X) is being divided by itself n times. For example, if X=2 and n=-3, then -X^n would be equivalent to (-2)^-3, which is equal to 1/(-2)^3, or -1/8.

Can you provide an example of -X^n?

Sure! Let's say X=5 and n=-2. Then -X^n would be (-5)^-2, which is equal to 1/(-5)^2, or 1/25.

Why does this phrase make me angry?

It is possible that this phrase makes you angry because it may remind you of a particularly frustrating or confusing math problem that you encountered in the past. Math can be challenging for many people, and it is common to feel frustrated when faced with difficult concepts or problems.

How can I better understand -X^n?

If you are struggling to understand this mathematical expression, it may be helpful to review basic algebra concepts, such as exponents and negative numbers. You can also try practicing with different values for X and n to see how they affect the end result. Additionally, seeking help from a math teacher or tutor may also be beneficial in improving your understanding of -X^n.