Accelerometer force or the square please

In summary, the accelerometer output can be used directly to calculate g forces, or the square of the output can be used to calculate g forces.
IMK
Hello,
I am using a tri axial accelerometer for a project that I have just about completed but have just realized that some of math may be flawed with respect to the device output and actual acceleration forces. So the question; as I am using vector subtraction and vector dot products to manipulate my results should I be using the output directly (which I believe is the sine) from the accelerometer or the square of the output which is the actual g force on that vector... Or have I missed something?

Many thanks IMK

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite follow your post and I might be able to help if I understand more. Normally the output of an accelerometer will be so many mV/g of acceleration, not force. And, that output will be linear, not sinusoidal.

Are you doing some processing in the instrument amp that gives the signal you describe? Or, do you have a special type of accelerometer? Or, more likely, am I just not following your explanation?

TVP45 said:
I don't quite follow your post and I might be able to help if I understand more. Normally the output of an accelerometer will be so many mV/g of acceleration, not force. And, that output will be linear, not sinusoidal.

Are you doing some processing in the instrument amp that gives the signal you describe? Or, do you have a special type of accelerometer? Or, more likely, am I just not following your explanation?

TVP45 Many thanks for your post as I am more than just a little confused on this issue.
Yes the output of the device is mv/g thus 1v = 1g and 0v = 0g.

http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/static/library/techArticles/mems/Sensor971/sld27.html

But it is the measurements in-between that I am a confused about, for example why is 45 degrees not 0.5 g, the link below almost makes it clear but still leaves me wondering if I should be using the actual accelerometer output or the square of the output to get the correct values thus: 45 degrees = 0.707 and 0.707^2 = 0.5.

The math (vector dot and vector cross products) in my current implementation just uses the accelerometer output values, but I am just wondering if I should square them to get the linear value before I do the vector math.

The link below makes seems to make some sense but I still just can’t see it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-177804.html

Many thanks in advance IMK
PS really understanding this would be a major breakthrough for me as I seem to have really missed something in my understanding of force vectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I see (or so I think). Accelerometers are made to give you vector values (at least the good ones). So, if you imagine looking down on it and forward is +y and to the right is +x, and your acceleration a is at 30 degrees from the x-axis between the two, you will read 0.50 a on the y channel and 0.866 a on the x channel. In other words, x will be a cos (theta) - I got to learn LaTeX - and y will be a sin (theta) where theta is the standard angle. So, to get the actual acceleration, take the sqr of the sum of the squares
((0.5a)^2 + (0.866a)^2)^0.5 = a
And if you have only the values of x and y, theta = arctan (y/x)

And, of course, you can extend all this to 3 components (x,y,z). Depending on the software you're using, you may want to just leave them in component form (i.e., the direct reading), but that's up to you.

For all this to work, you have to check that there is no significant cross-coupling between the axes. The accelerometer manufacturer should provide that information. if not, you have to do sensitivity tests with a known acceleration.

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it measure force?

An accelerometer is a device that measures acceleration, which is the change in velocity over time. It works by using a mass attached to a spring, and when the accelerometer experiences acceleration, the mass moves, causing the spring to stretch or compress. This movement is then converted into an electrical signal, which can be used to measure the force acting on the accelerometer.

2. How does an accelerometer measure force in three dimensions?

An accelerometer typically has three axes (x, y, and z) which allow it to measure acceleration and force in three dimensions. This is achieved by using multiple sensors, each oriented in a different direction, and combining their measurements to determine the overall force acting on the accelerometer in all three dimensions.

3. What is the relationship between accelerometer force and the square of acceleration?

The force measured by an accelerometer is directly proportional to the square of the acceleration acting on it. This means that if the acceleration doubles, the force measured by the accelerometer will increase by a factor of four. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration.

4. How is an accelerometer used in everyday devices?

Accelerometers are commonly used in smartphones, fitness trackers, and gaming controllers to detect motion and orientation. They are also used in navigation systems, such as GPS devices, to track changes in position and speed. In the automotive industry, accelerometers are used in airbag systems to detect sudden changes in velocity and deploy the airbags in the event of a collision.

5. What are some potential applications of accelerometer force measurements?

Accelerometer force measurements have a wide range of potential applications, including sports and fitness tracking, motion detection for security systems, and vibration analysis for industrial machinery. They are also used in medical devices to monitor movement and balance in patients with neurological disorders. In the field of robotics, accelerometers are used to provide feedback on the movement and stability of robotic systems.