What software is best for creating 3D graphics in scientific papers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best software for rendering 3D graphics for use in manuscripts and papers. The person asking for advice has seen impressive 3D figures in journals like Nature Physics and wants to know what programs are used to create them. Suggestions are given for programs like PovRay and Mathematica, but it is noted that professional graphic designers often create these graphics for journals like Nature. The conversation also mentions using Wavefront obj files and the OpenSceneGraph toolkit for converting data into pov files.
ilvreth
Hi to all.

I want your opinion about which software is the most suitable for rendering 3D graphics in order to include these as figures in manuscripts, papers etc.

I have seen many papers such as in Nature Physics, Nature Photonics etc that some 3D figures are really awesome. Especially, i have seen 3D vectors and trajectories with axes shadows projections and awsome lighting, 3D graphics of microcavities with multiple layers, 3D representations of optical pulses, 3D models of the experimental setup etc.

Could you tell me which programs are used in papers for 3D graphics?

I have used extensively the 3D graphics rendered by mathemata but they seem not suitable for papers or theses.

I have seen another one solution which is called PovRay. Is it used for papers?
It seems very difficult but if this is my last chance, then i will learn it from scratch despite of the difficulty.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you thought of contacting the authors of the papers whose 3D graphics you like?

Matlab has the ability to export out figures into a large number of formats for inclusion into documents, I uawe .wmf all the time for powerpoint and .eps for LaTeX documents.

Note that much of the graphics you see in articles in Nature (and Science) were NOT generated/drawn by the authors.; they have professionall illustrators who create the graphics and I suspect they use professional (=expensive) software (3D Studio, Maya etc).

This is one reason why you rarely see graphics this nice in other journals where the authors themselves have to create the graphics.

ilvreth said:
I have used extensively the 3D graphics rendered by mathemata but they seem not suitable for papers or theses. [...]
I have seen another one solution which is called PovRay. Is it used for papers?

3D Plotting with Mathematica, Maple, Matlab, Maxima & gnuplot et al. simply has a different focus than rendering with POV-Ray, RenderMan or plain OpenGL.

The core difference is the quality needed for lighting and shading; an artist modelling Botticelli's Venus for 3D would have different display requirements than a mathematician plotting e^(1/z).

Of course, what a full-scale renderer can do with a given mesh is superset of what any plotting interfaces could do, but using the POV-Ray scene description language needs training and practice; let alone using RSL (Renderman Shading Language) or GLSL efficiently.

Thanks for the reply! I ended up doing all my 3D graphics with PovRay. Is pretty awesome.

For converting scientific data to pov:

Likely the most straight-forward (numerical) geometry asset format is Wavefront obj;
it's quite easy to generate such files from whatever language¹ or CAS, and easy to parse.

For quickly generating pov "mesh2" objects from that, "osgconv", part of the OpenSceneGraph tookit, is well-suited; it's as easy as
Code:
osgconv /tmp/foo.obj /tmp/foo.pov

---

In addition - there is an awesome reference for POV-Ray textures
http://texlib.povray.org/
you may find useful.

Happy hacking!

Solkar¹C/C++ users should keep in mind that vertex numbering in .obj starts at 1, not at 0.

Last edited:

1. What is 3D graphics for manuscripts?

3D graphics for manuscripts is the use of three-dimensional computer graphics to enhance the visual presentation of scientific manuscripts. It allows for a more immersive and interactive experience for readers, making it easier to understand complex data and concepts.

2. How is 3D graphics for manuscripts created?

3D graphics for manuscripts are created using specialized software and tools such as computer-aided design (CAD) programs, 3D modeling software, and virtual reality (VR) tools. These programs allow scientists to create detailed and realistic 3D models of their data or concepts.

3. What are the benefits of using 3D graphics in manuscripts?

3D graphics in manuscripts can greatly enhance the understanding of complex scientific concepts, making it easier for readers to visualize and interact with data. It also allows for a more engaging and interactive reading experience, leading to better retention of information.

4. Can 3D graphics be used for any type of manuscript?

3D graphics can be used for a variety of manuscripts, including scientific research papers, educational materials, and even textbooks. It is most commonly used in fields such as biology, chemistry, geology, and engineering.

5. Are there any limitations to using 3D graphics in manuscripts?

While 3D graphics can greatly enhance the presentation of manuscripts, there are some limitations to consider. Creating high-quality 3D graphics can be time-consuming and may require specialized skills and software. Additionally, not all readers may have access to devices or technology that can support 3D graphics, limiting its accessibility.