Please describe elastic hysteresis in plain English

In summary, elastic hysteresis refers to the phenomenon in which the prior history of a system affects its behavior. This can be seen in a rubber band where the loading and unloading curves diverge due to hysteresis loss. This means that the strain vs. stress curve is not the same on contraction as it was on extension. This concept can be better understood by watching the video provided.
j-e_c
I've tried looking on various websites to find a definition I can understand but every website describes it differently, even the online dictionaries. I have also tried looking in my Y&F University Physics. I just don't <i>understand</i> what elastic hysteresis is because most descriptions don't explain physical processes.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a rubber band, "elastic hysteresis" means the the strain vs. stress curve is the same on contraction as it was on extension.

clem said:
For a rubber band, "elastic hysteresis" means the the strain vs. stress curve is the same on contraction as it was on extension.
Nope, that's the opposite.
Elastic hysteresis is in fact the phenomenon in which the system's prior history, so as to speak, influences the behaviour. For a rubber band, the loading and unloading curves diverge due to hysteresis loss (energy loss in form of heat for example).
http://www.revisionworld.co.uk/files/strain_33.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I misinterpreted the question. In usual terms "elastic" means no loss of energy.
I still don't know in which sense it was used here.

Watch this, maybe you'll get a feel for it.

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-02Electricity-and-MagnetismSpring2002/VideoAndCaptions/detail/embed22.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is elastic hysteresis?

Elastic hysteresis is the phenomenon in which a material exhibits a different response when it is being stretched or compressed. This means that the material behaves differently when it is being stretched compared to when it is being compressed.

Can you explain elastic hysteresis in simpler terms?

Think of elastic hysteresis like a rubber band. When you stretch a rubber band, it becomes longer and thinner. But when you release the tension, it returns to its original size and shape. However, if you stretch the rubber band too far, it may not return to its original shape completely. This is an example of elastic hysteresis in action.

Why is elastic hysteresis important to understand?

Elastic hysteresis is important because it plays a crucial role in the behavior and properties of materials. It affects the strength, stiffness, and durability of materials, and it also impacts their performance in different applications.

What factors can influence elastic hysteresis?

Elastic hysteresis can be influenced by various factors, including the type of material, its composition, the temperature, and the amount of stress or strain applied. It can also be affected by the speed and frequency of loading and unloading cycles.

How is elastic hysteresis different from plastic hysteresis?

Elastic hysteresis refers to the reversible deformation of a material, meaning that it can return to its original shape after the stress is removed. On the other hand, plastic hysteresis involves permanent deformation of a material, meaning that it cannot return to its original shape after the stress is removed.