Calculate Specific Heat Capacity HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in calculating the specific heat capacity for refrigerant R-134a in gas phase. The person asking for help has values for entropy, enthalpy, temperature, and other parameters, and is seeking assistance in determining the specific heat capacity. They clarify that this is not an assignment, but a part of their Master Thesis.
bobboviking
Calculate Specific Heat Capacity HELP!

Hi guys,

I having big troubles with how to calculate the specific heat (cp) for refrigerant r134a i gas phase.
I think that assuming ideal gas behavior is a bad idea since this is going to be used in a actual system...

I have values of entropy, enthalpy, temperature etc for the region where the refrigerant is in gas-phase.

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Andreas

Science news on Phys.org

how would you like to give the specific problem? but just a reminder,we are not allowed to post assignments here. doing it your way first will deliver you to close answer. start the computation so everyone could help you in some parts, but not totally, get me?

121910marj said:
how would you like to give the specific problem? but just a reminder,we are not allowed to post assignments here. doing it your way first will deliver you to close answer. start the computation so everyone could help you in some parts, but not totally, get me?

Hi sorry for late answer. It's not an assignment it's a part of my Master Thesis. Thermodynamics is not my best field and that's why I posted this question. I need to calculate the specific heat capacity for refirgerant R-134a in three different phases; gas-phase, two-phase and liquid-phase. I havn't found any equation that can help me so I'm kind of stuck. I've got a table with enthalpy, pressure, temperature etc to help me.

Hope you understand my problem better know. Thanks in advance!

1. What is specific heat capacity and why is it important?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is an important property because it describes the ability of a substance to store and release thermal energy, which is crucial in a variety of scientific and engineering applications.

2. How do you calculate specific heat capacity?

The formula for calculating specific heat capacity is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula can be rearranged to solve for c, giving the equation c = Q/(mΔT).

3. What units are used to measure specific heat capacity?

The units for specific heat capacity are joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg·°C) in the SI system, or calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g·°C) in the metric system.

4. How does specific heat capacity differ from heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a given mass of a substance by 1 degree Celsius, while heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of an entire sample of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. Therefore, heat capacity is the product of specific heat capacity and mass.

5. What factors can affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can be affected by its phase (solid, liquid, gas), temperature, and molecular structure. Additionally, substances with stronger intermolecular forces generally have higher specific heat capacities.