What is the integral of e and how does it relate to acceleration and velocity?

• Thread starter Dae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: But, of course, what you meant was that the integral of e^(5t) is (e^(5t) + C). Now you're saying that "if you MEANT that the integral of ex is ex (plus a constant NOT times a constant as you say) say that!" What I meant was this:If you meant that the integral of ex is ex (plus a constant NOT times a constant), you would say that. But what you actually meant was that the integral of e^(5t) is (e^(5t) + C). - WarrenWhen you say "don't forget to include the derivative of 5t," I
Dae
The integral of e is e right? So if you were to take the integral of 24+e^(5t) (acceleration), it would be 24t+e^(5t) (velocity)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Don't forget to include the derivative of the exponent.

Remember that

[itex]
\frac{d}
{{dt}}e^{5t} = e^{5t} \cdot 5
[/itex]

- Warren

Alright, thanks for the help. :)

I see what you're saying there. However, that's when taking the derivative, and I don't understand how to apply that. If I were taking the integral of e^(5t)*5, the 5 would be a constant, so since the constant of just plain e^(5t) is 1.. how could the integral change? Does it become like Ce^(5t) after integrated? When you say I have to include the derivative, do you mean (24+e^u du)dt where u = 5t, du = 5. For some reason I'm leaning towards du = 5 dt, dt = 1/5 du, so its (1/5)*24 du + e^u * (1/5) du, which when integrated becomes (24t + e^(5t))/5.

I'm obviously confused. Maybe you could please show how to solve it for me? Integral of e

Last edited by a moderator:
Dae said:
If I were taking the integral of e^(5t)*5, the 5 would be a constant, so since the constant of just plain e^(5t) is 1..

Whoops! That's not right. Just because 5 is a constant doesn't mean 5 e^(5t) is a constant. It's not; it's still a function of t.

If you agree that the derivative of e^(5t) is 5 e^(5t), then you also have to agree that the integral of 5 e^(5t) is e^(5t) + C.

What I mean when I say "don't forget to include the derivative of 5t," I mean this:

You cannot directly integrate e^(5t). What you'd have to do is multiply it by 5 inside the integral sign, and divide it by 5 outside the integral sign, like this:

[itex]
\int {e^{5t} dt = \frac{1}
{5}} \int {5e^{5t} dt}
[/itex]

Thus, the integral of e^(5t) is (1/5) e^(5t) + C.

Maybe you could please solve it for me?

We don't solve homework problems. We help you understand how to solve them.

- Warren

A lot of your problem is just sloppy thinking. You started by saying "The integral of e is e right?" No, the "integral of e" is NOT e. The integral of e (with respect to x) is ex since e is just a constant. If you MEANT that the integral of ex is ex (plus a constant NOT times a constant as you say) say that!

1. What is the formula for the integral of e?

The formula for the integral of e is ex + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of e?

To solve the integral of e, you can use the power rule for integration, which states that the integral of xn is xn+1/n+1. In the case of e, the exponent is 1, so the integral becomes ex+1/(x+1).

3. What is the significance of the integral of e in mathematics?

The integral of e has many applications in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations. It is also used in various areas of science and engineering, such as in modeling growth and decay processes.

4. Can you give an example of finding the integral of e?

Sure, for example, to find the integral of ex, we can use the formula mentioned earlier: ex+1/(x+1). So, the integral of ex is ex + C.

5. Is the integral of e always equal to ex?

No, the integral of e is not always equal to ex. The integral adds a constant of integration, which makes the two not equivalent. However, when solving definite integrals, the constant of integration can often be canceled out, making the two equal.