Things aren't always what they seem.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: I've also heard that adding a few drops of peppermint oil to the mix gives it a nice smell. I could be wrong though.In summary, the Zero Blaster needs 6 AA batteries, a bottle of glycerin, and the smoke producing formula made of purified water, propylene glycol and glycerin to function.
tribdog
take the title of this thread for instance. I'm sure a couple of mentors are rushing to see what I'm complaining about this time, but alas that's not what this is about.
I was walking through a thrift store yesterday and I found a "Zero Blaster." For those of you who don't know what that is, its a gun that shoots smoke rings. It was only 99 cents so I bought it. I got home and jumped online to see what I needed to do to get it working. It turns out that it needs to be filled with their special smoke producing formula, which I didn't have. It also needed six AA batteries which I didn't have. I could order the formula online, but it would take days to get here and who can wait that long? I did some research and found out that the smoke formula is made of purified water, propylene glycol and glycerin. I know what that stuff is, I can make it myself.
I went to the drug store and started looking for glycerin and propylene glycol. I couldn't find it, but I did find a product who's ingredients were: purified water, propylene glycol and glycerin. So I grabbed a bottle of it and a package of batteries and went to the counter to pay. You should have seen the look the cashier gave me as she bagged my 12 pack of batteries and my tube of Astroglide personal lubricant. I didn't even attempt an explanation. I just paid and fled.

Physics news on Phys.org
That... is awesome.

tribdog said:
take the title of this thread for instance. I'm sure a couple of mentors are rushing to see what I'm complaining about this time, but alas that's not what this is about.

If they are, I imagine they'd rather spend their time at PF enjoyably, just like anybody else would. Somebody who continually draws their attention and soaks up a lot of their time (that they'd rather spend having fun on here) is just plain asking for trouble.

You and I haven't interacted much, but I have enjoyed a lot of your posts. When you're really on it has brought me a lot of laughs. But the whole "the Mentors are out to get me" act has gotten pretty tiresome.

With respectful regards,

Mark

see, and I thought I was making a joke. I guess my sense of humor hasn't returned yet. I wasn't complaining. I thought I was being self deprecating and showing a "no hard feelings" attitude, because the fact is the mentors have had to be on the ball and watch me. I have been pissy.

Last edited:
:smile:
You should have seen the look the cashier gave me
This was a good one :blushing:

For the record, I don't think astroglide is compatible with the zero blaster. I can't get the stuff in the small hole on the gun. It's too thick. I've got astroglide on my hands now and a little bit goes a long way. My room smells like burnt astroglide and my keyboard is all shiny. I swear to god I was trying to play with a toy. Nothing else. I hope nobody comes over.

Edit: I'm leaving hand prints on everything I touch and I can't get the door opened.

Last edited:
tribdog said:
So I grabbed a bottle of it and a package of batteries and went to the counter to pay. You should have seen the look the cashier gave me as she bagged my 12 pack of batteries and my tube of Astroglide personal lubricant.

http://www.xkcd.com/236/

Mouse over for the alt-text.

Lol... lubricant is insidiously persistent. I guess that's the point though.
Maybe if you added some more water and/or glycerin to the mixture it would work better?

FAQ: Things aren't always what they seem.

1. What does the phrase "things aren't always what they seem" mean?

The phrase "things aren't always what they seem" refers to the idea that our initial perceptions or assumptions about something may not always be accurate or true.

2. Why is it important to remember that things aren't always what they seem?

It is important to remember this phrase because it reminds us to question our initial judgments and to be open to new information or perspectives. This can help us avoid making hasty decisions or forming biased opinions.

3. How can we determine when things aren't what they seem?

We can determine when things aren't what they seem by gathering more information, seeking out different perspectives, and critically analyzing the evidence. It is also important to be aware of our own biases and to consider alternative explanations.

4. Can things that seem negative actually be positive?

Yes, things that initially seem negative can often have positive aspects or outcomes. This is why it is important to not judge something based on surface-level observations and to look deeper for a more complete understanding.

5. How does the concept of "things aren't always what they seem" apply to scientific research?

In scientific research, the phrase reminds us to approach our studies with an open mind and to critically evaluate our data and findings. It also emphasizes the importance of replication and peer review in ensuring that our results are accurate and not influenced by our biases.

Back