How Does Coulomb's Law and Vectors Determine the Direction of Force?

In summary, the magnitude of a force between two charges is very simple, but to get the direction of the force seems a little strange to me. The signs of the charges aren't included anywhere in the law, so does this mean that I literally have to think "the signs are opposite, therefore I will multiply the vector by -1 (or leave it positive, depending on my reference coordinates)"? This seems a little bit cumbersome and forced to me, and apparently not derived anywhere in the mathematics of it. Am I going about doing this the right way?
bifodus
To find the magnitude of a force between two charges is very simple, but to get the direction of the force seems a little strange to me. The signs of the charges aren't included anywhere in the law, so does this mean that I literally have to think "the signs are opposite, therefore I will multiply the vector by -1 (or leave it positive, depending on my reference coordinates)"? This seems a little bit cumbersome and forced to me, and apparently not derived anywhere in the mathematics of it. Am I going about doing this the right way?

I'm quite accustomed with vectors (vector calculus and linear algebra background), but very new to e&m. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The signs are included in Coulomb's law.

"The signs of the charges are not included anywhere in the law". Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
I have a good book with an equation that should help you out.

F= C q1 q2 / r12^2 * (r12)/r12

Where the bolds are vectors, the regular font is scalar
and r12 =r1-r2
where r1 is the location of the q1 and
r2 is the location of q2

If I'm not too clear, I'll fix it up some more

The "force on q1 due to q2" is (in agreement with sinyud)
[tex]\vec F_{on\ q_1\ due\ to\ q_2} = k\frac{q_1 q_2}{r_{12}{}^2} \hat r_{12}[/tex]
where [itex]\hat r_{12}[/itex] is the unit vector at the target charge [itex]q_1[/itex] pointing away from the source charge [itex]q_2[/itex] and
[itex]r_{12}[/itex] is the distance to the target charge [itex]q_1[/itex] from the source charge [itex]q_2[/itex].

If the product [itex]q_1q_2[/itex] is positive (so they have like signs), then,
since [itex]\hat r_{12}[/itex] points away from [itex]q_2[/itex], it follows that[itex]\vec F_{on\ q_1\ due\ to\ q_2}[/itex] points away from [itex]q_2[/itex].
"[itex]q_1[/itex] is repelled by [itex]q_2[/itex]."

If the product [itex]q_1q_2[/itex] is negative (so they have unlike signs), then,
since [itex]\hat r_{12}[/itex] points away from [itex]q_2[/itex], it follows that [itex]\vec F_{on\ q_1\ due\ to\ q_2}[/itex] points towards [itex]q_2[/itex].
"[itex]q_1[/itex] is attracted to [itex]q_2[/itex]."

Ahh, thanks guys. For some reason I was attaching the unit vector to the equation for the magnitude of the force, which obviously removes the signs from the charges. Major brain fart.

Thanks again.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the mathematical formula for Coulomb's law?

The mathematical formula for Coulomb's law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

How does Coulomb's law relate to vectors?

Coulomb's law is a vector equation, meaning that it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force between two charged particles. The direction of the force is along the line connecting the two particles, and its magnitude is given by the Coulomb's law formula.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in relation to Coulomb's law?

Scalar quantities are those that have only magnitude, such as distance or mass, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as force or velocity. Coulomb's law is a vector equation because it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force between two charged particles.

How is Coulomb's law used in real-world applications?

Coulomb's law is used in a variety of real-world applications, including electrical circuits, particle accelerators, and the design of electronic devices. It is also used in the study of atoms and molecules, as well as in the field of electrostatics to understand the behavior of charged particles in different environments.