Characteristics of a certain degree polynomial.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a certain number of points to find a linear equation, quadratic equation, and other polynomial equations. The question is raised about what determines this and if it is based on the characteristics of each polynomial degree. However, the person responding directs the individual to a previous thread and advises them to ask any further questions there rather than starting a new thread.
jasonlr82794
I have asked a similar question but it wasn't answered fully so here it goes. Why is it that you only need two points to find a linear equation, three for a quadratic and so on. What determines this and is this determined because of the characteristics of these different degree polynomials?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please carefully read what I posted in the other thread you started, here - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=691972.

If you have questions about what I wrote, reply in that thread - don't start a new thread for the same question.

I am closing this thread.

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It can have one or more terms, with each term containing a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest exponent that appears on any variable in the expression. For example, in the polynomial 3x^4 + 2x^2 + 7, the degree is 4.

How do you determine the degree of a polynomial?

To determine the degree of a polynomial, you can look at the exponents on all the variables in the expression and find the highest one. If there is only one variable, then the highest exponent is the degree. If there are multiple variables, you need to find the highest degree among all the variables.

What are the different types of polynomials based on degree?

There are three types of polynomials based on degree: linear polynomials with a degree of 1, quadratic polynomials with a degree of 2, and cubic polynomials with a degree of 3. Polynomials with degrees higher than 3 are called higher-degree polynomials.

How do you graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function, you can plot points by substituting different values for the variable in the expression and then connecting the points with a smooth curve. The degree of the polynomial will determine the general shape of the graph. You can also use the leading coefficient and constant term to determine the end behavior of the graph.