Finding Dual Basis of Linear Functionals for a Given Basis in C^3

In summary, the conversation was about finding the dual basis of a given basis in a vector space. The solution involved finding the subspace generated by certain vectors and then finding the set of linear annihilators for each subspace. There was a discrepancy in the final answer which led to a discussion about the method used and whether it always works. Other suggestions were made, such as taking perpendicular vectors or using matrix multiplication to cross check the solution.
Abuattallah
Hello,
Problem, let [itex]B=[/itex]{[itex]a_1,a_2,a_3[/itex]} be a basis for [itex]C^3[/itex] defined by [itex]a_1=(1,0,-1)[/itex] [itex]a_2=(1,1,1)[/itex] [itex]a_3=(2,2,0)[/itex]
Find the dual basis of [itex]B[/itex].

My Solution. Let [itex]W_1[/itex] be the subspace generated by [itex]a_2=(1,1,1)[/itex] [itex]a_3=(2,2,0)[/itex], let's find [itex][/itex] [itex]W*[/itex], where [itex]W*[/itex] is the set of linear anihilator of [itex]W_1[/itex]. Consider the system:

\begin{align*}
\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 \\ 2 & 2 & 0 \\\end{bmatrix} &\begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\x_2\\x_3 \\\end{bmatrix}
=0
\end{align*}
solving this will yeild [itex]x_2=-x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_3=0[/itex]
so from this, by assinging [itex]x_1=1[/itex] ,we find out that the map [itex]f_1=x_1-x_2[/itex].
Similarly,

Let [itex]W_2[/itex] be the subspace generated by [itex]a_2=(1,0,-1)[/itex] [itex]a_3=(2,2,0)[/itex], let's find [itex][/itex] [itex]W*[/itex], where [itex]W*[/itex] is the set of linear anihilator of [itex]W_2[/itex]. Consider the system:

\begin{align*}
\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & -1 \\ 2 & 2 & 0 \\\end{bmatrix} &\begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\x_2\\x_3 \\\end{bmatrix}
=0
\end{align*}
solving this will yeild [itex]x_2=-x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_3=x_1[/itex]
so from this, by assinging [itex]x_1=1[/itex] ,we find out that the map [itex]f_2=x_1-x_2+x_3[/itex].

Finally,

Let [itex]W_3[/itex] be the subspace generated by [itex]a_2=(1,1,1)[/itex] [itex]a_3=(1,0,-1)[/itex], let's find [itex][/itex] [itex]W*[/itex], where [itex]W*[/itex] is the set of linear anihilator of [itex]W_3[/itex]. Consider the system:

\begin{align*}
\begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & -1 \\\end{bmatrix} &\begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\x_2\\x_3 \\\end{bmatrix}
=0
\end{align*}
solving this will yeild [itex]x_2=-2x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_3=x_1[/itex]
so from this, by assinging [itex]x_1=1[/itex] ,we find out that the map [itex]f_3=x_1-2x_2+x_3[/itex].
So far so Good. The issue is that the last map [itex]f_3[/itex]does not agree with the solution I have, but every other thing is the same.Note that I have the final solution with a diffrenet method of solution than mine. In the solution, I got that [itex]f_3=-1/2x_1+x_2-1/2x_3[/itex], I know that I assigned [itex]x_1=1[/itex] when I was trying to find [itex]f_3[/itex], and I could get the same answer if I put [itex]x_1=-1/2[/itex].
This significantly affect the nature of the map. i.e.
let [itex](5,4,2)\in C^3[/itex], then
[itex](5,4,2)=1(1,0,-1)+3(1,1,1)+1/2(2,2,0)[/itex]
so we have [itex]c_1=1, c_2=3, c_3=1/2[/itex]. while
[itex]f_1(5,4,2)=1[/itex],
[itex]f_2(5,4,2)=3[/itex],
[itex]f_3(5,4,2)=-1[/itex]
so note that [itex]c_3 \ \ does \ \ not \ \ equal \ \ f_3(5,4,2)[/itex]
While if I used the map [itex]f_3=-1/2x_1+x_2-1/2x_3[/itex] we get that [itex]f_3(5,4,2)=1/2[/itex]. The equality should ocuur since [itex]f_3[/itex]is a vector in the dual which determine the scalar [itex]c_3[/itex].
So my explanation is that I should consider also another equation to each system saying that [itex]c_1x_1+ c_2x_2 + c_2x_3=1[/itex] for each system depending on our choice of the vectors to determine [itex]c_1,c_2,c_3[/itex].
My question, Is this method always work when we find the Dual basis to a given Basis?.
Because I figured this method by myself using a similar method to find anihilator space along with the fact that [itex]dim \ \ W + dim \ \ of \ \ annihilator \ \ space= dim \ \ V[/itex]
, where [itex]W\subset V[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You could just have taken the suitably normed perpendicular vectors of your basis. Should have been easier to find, and in the end to cross check by a matrix multiplication.

1. What is a dual basis in linear functionals?

A dual basis in linear functionals refers to a set of linear functionals that can uniquely define the elements of a given basis in a vector space. This means that the dual basis is a set of linear functionals that when applied to the basis vectors, produce a unique result.

2. How do you find the dual basis for a given basis in C^3?

In order to find the dual basis for a given basis in C^3, you need to first find the dual space of C^3. This can be done by taking the transpose of the matrix representation of the basis vectors. Then, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process to orthogonalize the dual space vectors. Finally, normalize the vectors to obtain the dual basis.

3. What is the Gram-Schmidt process?

The Gram-Schmidt process is a mathematical algorithm used to orthogonalize a set of vectors in a vector space. It involves subtracting the projections of the vectors onto the previously orthogonalized vectors, resulting in a set of orthogonal vectors. This process is used to find the dual basis for a given basis in C^3.

4. When is finding the dual basis useful in linear algebra?

Finding the dual basis is useful in linear algebra when working with linear functionals and dual spaces. It can help in solving systems of linear equations, understanding the geometry of vector spaces, and in various applications in physics and engineering.

5. Can the dual basis be unique for a given basis in C^3?

Yes, the dual basis can be unique for a given basis in C^3 as long as the basis vectors are linearly independent. If the basis vectors are not linearly independent, then the dual basis may not be unique.