Calculating Ascent Rate and Peak Altitude of a High Altitude Balloon

In summary, the rate of ascent for a helium-filled weather balloon should not change with altitude due to the expansion of the balloon. However, wind currents and temperature fluctuations may cause small fluctuations in the ascent rate. The peak altitude of the balloon will depend on the material and source, with some reaching up to 37km. To calculate the ascent rate and time to reach the peak altitude, the balloon's weight and volume, as well as external factors such as wind and temperature, would need to be taken into consideration.
thespaceman
Howdy,
I am looking to find the rate of ascent for a weather balloon filled with helium. My assumptions as of now are total payload weight=10lbs, total balloon weight=2lbs, total balloon volume(at launch)=150ft^3, balloon diameter(at launch)=6ft.
Also, how does the rate of ascent change with altitude?
And lastly, what is the peak altitude it will reach?
Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)
-thespaceman

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey thespaceman,

I actually have some experience with weather balloons, so thought I'd post what I know. Give consideration that this is taken from practical experiments personally and not from literature.

Your first question about ascent change with regards to altitude. It should not change depending on altitude, because as the pressure gets less and less, the balloon is expanding, giving the same ratio of helium displacement over air. Of course, wind currents, and temperature fluctuations can offset your rate of ascent by a small amount, but nearly impossible to calculate. Some fluctuations will cause the rate of ascent to speed up, others will slow it down. On average the ascent rate should not fluctuate more than 10%.

As with your second question, the peak altitude really depends on the material of your weather balloon and where you get it from. High altitude weather balloons can go 30-37km in height, with some amateur hobbyists boasting of nearly 40km. Personally 33km was the highest I've ever gotten one, but I'm working on a budget of about $200 per flight (with many reusable parts).

Hopefully this helped, best of luck.

That is extremely helpful thank you. What I am trying to do now is to calculate the ascent rate that my balloon will have. I calculated an approximate peak altitude already to be 26km, but what I would like to calculate by hand is how long it will take to get there. What is really important is how long I will be above the tropopause.

1. What is a high altitude balloon project?

A high altitude balloon project is a scientific experiment or research mission that involves launching a balloon filled with helium or hydrogen into the Earth's atmosphere to reach altitudes of 60,000 to 120,000 feet. These balloons are equipped with scientific instruments, cameras, and other equipment to collect data and images from high altitudes.

2. What is the purpose of a high altitude balloon project?

The purpose of a high altitude balloon project is to study various aspects of the Earth's atmosphere, such as air pressure, temperature, humidity, and radiation levels. It can also be used to conduct experiments in microgravity, study cosmic rays, and capture images of the Earth from a unique perspective.

3. How is a high altitude balloon launched and controlled?

A high altitude balloon is launched using a launch vehicle or a launch rail. Once the balloon reaches the desired altitude, it is controlled using a control system, which typically includes a flight computer, GPS, and radio telemetry. The control system allows the balloon's flight path to be adjusted and monitored remotely.

4. How long does a high altitude balloon project typically last?

The duration of a high altitude balloon project depends on various factors such as the size of the balloon, altitude reached, and weather conditions. Generally, a high altitude balloon can stay in the air for several hours to a few days before descending back to Earth.

5. What are the benefits of conducting a high altitude balloon project?

High altitude balloon projects offer several benefits such as providing a cost-effective way to conduct scientific experiments in the upper atmosphere, collecting data and images from hard-to-reach areas, and inspiring interest and curiosity in science and technology among students and the general public.