Vector Calculus: Solve Chain Weight Problem - 25 N, 37°

In summary: If you think about it, the weight of the chain is just the sum of the weight of the individual chains.
janedoe75
I have a problem that I don't even know how to start. Can anyone assist me with the following problem?

The tension T at the end of each chain has magnitude 25 N and makes an angle of 37 degrees with the horizontal. What is the weight of the chain?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the text of the problem??It doesn't make too much sense...How many chains are there??In what position are they disposed?Do they hang under their own weight??

Daniel.

It's just one chain that appears to be hanging between two buildings. There is nothing besides the weight of the chain pulling it down.

Welcome to PF!
Since the chain is at rest, no net external forces can act on the chain (agreed?)
List the various external forces acting on the chain; their SUM must be zero..

I get that idea. Unfortunately, this isn't a physics problem. We aren't dealing with any of the forces, etc. The only things we have to work with are the tension and the angles at the end of the chain to figure out the weight of the chain.

Thanks for the welcome.

" Unfortunately, this isn't a physics problem. We aren't dealing with any of the forces, etc."?

And, what is tension? What is weight?
These aren't FORCES?
Is this not PHYSICS?

janedoe75 said:
Unfortunately, this isn't a physics problem.

What are u talking about??
janedoe75 said:
We aren't dealing with any of the forces, etc.

What?

janedoe75 said:
The only things we have to work with are the tension and the angles at the end of the chain to figure out the weight of the chain.

Is my logics wrong,or you just contradicted yourself...

Post your ideas for this problem...

Daniel.

What I mean is that we aren't taking any outside forces into account. One of the responses mentioned that the outside forces had to sum to 0. That was what I was attempting to respond to.

As for my ideas for the problem, I don't really have any. I think that the book leaves out information I am supposed to know. I don't even know where to start with the problem.

Sorry to bother you with my problem. I will just have to ask the professor, I guess.

Is there a way to delete my account? I don't see an option anywhere for that. If someone can tell me how to delete, I will be gone. I hope no one else comes to you with an "easy problem". I feel bad for anyone who does.

Excuse my mistake. Everything says Physics and MATH help. I even noticed probability questions on here that were answered nicely. I even entitled the thread as vector calculus help...so sorry to waste your time. This just proves my theory that all physicists are jerks!

janedoe75 said:
Is there a way to delete my account? I don't see an option anywhere for that. If someone can tell me how to delete, I will be gone. I hope no one else comes to you with an "easy problem". I feel bad for anyone who does.
Is there a way to delete my account? I don't see an option anywhere for that. If someone can tell me how to delete, I will be gone. I hope no one else comes to you with an "easy problem". I feel bad for anyone who does
This is no way of behaving. Neither daniel or myself have said anything to warrant these types of remarks. Frankly, I'm shocked by your rudeness.
You don't DESERVE any help.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Why on Earth does the thread title have "vector calculus" in it??

Hey everyone - the problem janedoe75 is referring to seems to make sense on the face of it, so how about we all stop TALKING IN CAPITALS and using LOTS! OF! PUNTUATION! and try and answer the question.

Wouldn't you just treat the vertical component of the tension as being equal and opposite to the force of gravity acting downwards? Since *weight* is just a force, the weight of the chain is just twice the vertical component of the tension at one end of the chain.

(let me know if there is something flawed in that argument, please...)

Cheerio,

Kane

(who is probably a jerk, but tries hard not to be... :wink:)

Oh, and I don't think you mean vector calculus, janedoe75, although the problem does involve vectors. No calculus, that's all.

Kane

FAQ: Vector Calculus: Solve Chain Weight Problem - 25 N, 37°

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are mathematical functions that assign a vector to every point in a given space.

2. What is the "Chain Weight Problem" in vector calculus?

The "Chain Weight Problem" is a classic problem in vector calculus that involves finding the tension in a chain that is suspended between two points and supporting a given weight at a specified angle.

3. How do you solve the "Chain Weight Problem" using vector calculus?

The "Chain Weight Problem" can be solved by using vector equations and principles such as the dot product and cross product to determine the tension in the chain. The given weight and angle can be used to set up the necessary equations.

4. What are the units of the weight and angle in the "Chain Weight Problem"?

The weight is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is the SI unit for force. The angle is measured in degrees, although it can also be converted to radians if needed for vector calculations.

5. Can the "Chain Weight Problem" be solved using other methods besides vector calculus?

Yes, the "Chain Weight Problem" can also be solved using techniques from trigonometry and statics. However, vector calculus provides a more comprehensive and efficient approach to solving this type of problem.

Back