Equation of motion of a mass-spring system

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the equation of motion of a mass spring system without using the energy method. The equation of motion is mx''+kx=0, but there is confusion about the direction of the spring force and the acceleration. It is explained that the base formula is F=ma and the equation must be applied directly without modifying the ma part. The correct equation is -mx''+kx=0, ensuring that the acceleration is negative when the displacement is positive. The issue is resolved.
mech-eng
hi, all. I am trying to derive the equation of motion of a mass spring system without using the
energy method but I am wrong somewhere and I can't find it, can you help me find where I am
wrong. Equation of motion of a simple mass spring system is indeed mx''+kx=0 but here I am
thinking that when we pull the mass, motion arises from the spring force which is trying to bring back the mass and it is -kx due to our choice of negative direction but when the force is negative,
i.e -kx, the acceleration x'' must also be negative because they are in the same direction and sense. Here their sense both are negative. So equation should be -mx''=-kx(sum of forces equal mass product acceleration) and thus -mx''+kx=0 Can you explain me where I am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
i.e -kx, the acceleration x'' must also be negative because they are in the same direction and sense.
Exactly. Therefore, writing
$$
\ddot{x} = \frac{-k x}{m}
$$
ensures that the acceleration ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the displacement ##x## is postive. If you add a minus sign in front of ##m \ddot{x}##, you get a positive acceleration for a positive displacement.

I should also add that the base formula is ##F=ma##. Once you have figured out what ##F## is, the equation must be applied directly, without modifying the ##ma## part.

DrClaude said:
Exactly. Therefore, writing
$$
\ddot{x} = \frac{-k x}{m}
$$
ensures that the acceleration ##\ddot{x}## is negative when the displacement ##x## is postive. If you add a minus sign in front of ##m \ddot{x}##, you get a positive acceleration for a positive displacement.

It is very clear, thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Your reasoning is correct, but there is a small mistake in your equation. The correct equation of motion for a mass-spring system is indeed mx'' + kx = 0, where x'' is the acceleration and k is the spring constant. However, in your equation, you have a negative sign in front of mx'', which is incorrect.

To understand why this is incorrect, let's look at the forces acting on the mass in the system. When we pull the mass, we are applying a force in the positive direction, which we can denote as F. At the same time, the spring is exerting a force in the negative direction, which we can denote as -kx. According to Newton's second law, the sum of these forces should equal the mass times the acceleration, so we have F - kx = mx''. Notice that both F and kx are positive, so there is no need for a negative sign in front of mx''.

In summary, the equation of motion for a mass-spring system is mx'' + kx = 0, where x'' is the acceleration and k is the spring constant. The negative sign in front of kx comes from our choice of direction (positive direction is towards the pulled position, while negative direction is towards the equilibrium position), not from the force itself. I hope this helps to clarify your understanding.

1. What is the equation of motion of a mass-spring system?

The equation of motion of a mass-spring system is a mathematical representation of the motion of a mass attached to a spring, where the restoring force of the spring is proportional to the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

2. How is the equation of motion derived?

The equation of motion is derived using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of a mass-spring system, the force is the sum of the spring force and any external forces acting on the mass.

3. What are the variables in the equation of motion for a mass-spring system?

The variables in the equation of motion for a mass-spring system are the mass of the object (m), the spring constant (k), the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position (x), and the acceleration of the mass (a).

4. Can the equation of motion be used to determine the period and frequency of oscillation?

Yes, the equation of motion can be used to determine the period (T) and frequency (f) of oscillation for a mass-spring system. The period is given by T = 2π√(m/k), and the frequency is given by f = 1/T.

5. What are some real-life applications of the equation of motion for a mass-spring system?

The equation of motion for a mass-spring system has many real-life applications, including in the design of suspension systems for vehicles, the functioning of musical instruments, and the study of seismic waves in earthquakes. It is also used in engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of systems under harmonic motion.