How Do You Solve the Integral of dx/(x-3)² + 73?

• Thread starter lord12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary: I think I understand it now.In summary, the integral of dx/x^(2)-6x+82 can be solved using the substitution method and the trigonometric identity for integrals with a quadratic denominator. The final answer should involve tan^(-1) and can be simplified using the substitution u = x-3 and the value a = sqrt(73). There may be a discrepancy between different solutions, but using the given steps and notes, it can be resolved.
lord12
integral of dx/x^(2)-6x +82

I know from completing the square you get the integral of dx/73 + (x-3)^(2). Then what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the substitution x-3 = u and see if it turns into something a little more familiar.

I just want to know what you guys think as there is a discrepancy between my professors answer and my answer.

What's the discrepancy?

my professor says that the final answer involves tan^(-1). I say that its (1/73)(u^(-2)du) = (1/73)(-(x-3)^(-1).

lord12 said:
my professor says that the final answer involves tan^(-1). I say that its (1/73)(u^(-2)du) = (1/73)(-(x-3)^(-1).
Your professor is right. Check your work again, the denominator is u^2 + 73

[tex]\int \frac{du}{u^{2}+A} = \int \frac{\sqrt{A}dy}{Ay^{2}+A} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}\int \frac{dy}{y^{2}+1}[/tex]

Combined with what others have said and what you should have in your notes you will be able to see the professor is right.

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{x^{2}-6x+82} \; [/tex][tex] \int \frac{dx}{(x-3)^{2} + 73} [/tex]Use the fact that [tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^{2}+a^{2}} = \frac{1}{a}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x}{a}\right) + C [/tex]

So going back to the integral:

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{(x-3)^{2} + 73} [/tex], and [tex] u = x-3, \; du = dx [/tex]

[tex] a^{2} = 73\Rightarrow a = \sqrt{73} [/tex]

Thus [tex] \int \frac{dx}{(x-3)^{2} + 73} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{73}}\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{x-3}{\sqrt{73}}\right) + C [/tex]

Last edited:
thanks people

Related to How Do You Solve the Integral of dx/(x-3)² + 73?

1. How do you determine the best method for integrating this?

The best method for integrating something depends on the context and purpose of the integration. Factors to consider include the type of data or information being integrated, the systems or platforms involved, and the desired outcome of the integration. It is important to thoroughly analyze the situation and consider all options before deciding on the best method.

2. What are the potential challenges of integrating this?

Some potential challenges of integration include compatibility issues between systems, data inconsistencies or errors, security concerns, and user adoption. It is important to anticipate and address these challenges in order to ensure a successful integration.

3. How long does it typically take to integrate something?

The time it takes to integrate something can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the integration, the amount of data or information involved, and the resources available. It is important to carefully plan and allocate enough time for the integration process to ensure its success.

4. What tools or technologies are commonly used for integration?

There are many tools and technologies available for integration, and the best one to use will depend on the specific needs of the integration. Some common tools and technologies include application programming interfaces (APIs), extract-transform-load (ETL) tools, and middleware. It is important to research and select the most suitable tool for the specific integration project.

5. How can you ensure the integrity and accuracy of the integrated data?

To ensure the integrity and accuracy of integrated data, it is important to have thorough testing and validation processes in place. This may include data quality checks, data mapping validations, and user acceptance testing. It is also important to have a backup plan in case any issues arise during the integration process.