Maximizing Sum of Finite Sets: Solving Simple Arithmetic Question

• Thread starter sparsh12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the maximum sum of two sets of real numbers, where the sets have the same number of elements and the elements are multiplied together, with the condition that the indices cannot be the same. The speaker asks if there are any general conditions to solve this problem, and if there are any variables or rules that can vary. The other person suggests that the question may be asking for the maximum of just one number, or if the summation symbol is a mistake. The question is then clarified under the title "Travelling Salesman Problem" on a number theory page.
sparsh12
if {x1 , x2 , ...xi} and {y1,y2,...yi} are finite sets.

are two sets of real numbers. Then sum

Ʃ xixj +yiyj must be maximum, and i≠j

so is there some general condition to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anything in there, variables, summation rules, conditions, indexing, etc, that is allowed to vary? If so, you should tell us, and if not, your question is equivalent to asking for the maximum of the number x.

Perhaps you really don't mean to have that Ʃ there, in which case you get an actual question.

I have changed the question,under the title: Travelling Salesman Problem, in number theory page.

1. What is simple arithmetic?

Simple arithmetic is the basic mathematical operation of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It involves using numbers to solve equations and find solutions.

2. How do I solve a simple arithmetic question?

To solve a simple arithmetic question, you can follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) and work from left to right. First, simplify any parentheses, then work on exponents, followed by multiplication and division (from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (from left to right).

3. What are some common mistakes when solving simple arithmetic questions?

Some common mistakes when solving simple arithmetic questions include not following the order of operations, forgetting to carry over numbers when adding or subtracting, and miscounting when multiplying or dividing by numbers larger than 10.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving simple arithmetic questions?

Practice and repetition are key to improving your skills in solving simple arithmetic questions. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts and using mental math strategies.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me with simple arithmetic?

Yes, there are many tools and resources available to help with simple arithmetic, such as online calculators, flashcards, and educational websites with practice problems and tutorials. You can also ask for help from a teacher or tutor if needed.