Force on a wire carrying current

In summary, the first equation states that the force (F) on a moving charged particle (q) in a magnetic field (B) is equal to the product of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particle, and the sine of the angle between the field and the current. This means that the force is at its maximum when the current is perpendicular to the field and at its minimum when the current is parallel to the field. This is because only the component of the current that cuts across the field lines contributes to the force. This understanding can be further clarified with the use of diagrams.
ehabmozart
It is given in my book. hat F=B I l sin theta where theta is the angle between B and the current I... I guess this is no right.. I mean, how would the current make an angle with B, it should b the length of wire itself... Secondly F=Bqv is the reason behind a charged particle which enter perpendicularly to a magnetic field moves in a circle.. My doubt is that at point, this point charge will be inline with the field line.. From where will it get force at that point.. Talking about the quarter circle... I need more clarification and it would be more than amazing if there are some illustrative diagrams!

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle in your first equation IS the angle between the current and the field lines. If you imagine a uniform B field you can also imagine a wire in this field pointing in various different directions.

Current is a vector, and only the component of the current vector that cuts across the field lines causes the force. When the current is at right angles to the field, θ = 90 and sin θ =1. This means that all of the current contributes to the force so you get the maximum force = BIL.

On the other hand, when the current is parallel to the field, θ = 0 and sin θ = 0. This makes your force = BIL × 0 = 0 as there is no component of the current cutting across the field lines.

1. What is the force on a wire carrying current?

The force on a wire carrying current is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field created by the current and the magnetic field in which the wire is located.

2. How is the force on a wire carrying current calculated?

The force on a wire carrying current can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the force on a wire carrying current?

The force on a wire carrying current is affected by the strength of the current, the length of the wire, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. Changes in any of these factors will result in a change in the force on the wire.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the force on a wire?

The direction of the current affects the direction of the force on the wire. The force will be in the opposite direction of the magnetic field for a current flowing in one direction, and in the same direction as the magnetic field for a current flowing in the opposite direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of the force on a wire carrying current?

The force on a wire carrying current is used in many technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in electromagnetic levitation systems, where the force on a wire carrying current is used to lift and move objects without physical contact.