Solving 2nd Order DEs w/ Undermined Coefficients & e^x, cosx, sinx

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Couple
In summary, when solving a non-homogeneous, linear, 2nd order differential equation using the method of undetermined coefficients, the particular solution should match the inhomogeneity in the equation. This can be determined through experience and practice. Additionally, for equations with complex solutions, it is possible to express sine and cosine as a sum of complex exponentials.
jaydnul
1. For a non-homogeneous, linear, 2nd order DE, using the method of undermined coefficients, what do you use for the particular solution for [itex]e^x[/itex] and [itex]cosx[/itex] or [itex]sinx[/itex]. For example, if it is [itex]x^2[/itex], you use [itex]Ax^2+Bx+C[/itex].

2.For [itex]y''-2y'+2y=0[/itex] i put [itex]y(x)=c_1e^{(1+i)x}+c_2e^{(1-i)x}[/itex] but got it wrong. The right answer was written as [itex]y(x)=e^{ix}(c_1cosx+c_2sinx)[/itex]. I always assumed that an answer using [itex]e^x[/itex] was right. How do I know when to use [itex]e^x[/itex] and when to use [itex]sinx[/itex] or [itex]cosx[/itex]?

Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
You use the solution that fits with the rest of the DE.

How do you know in advance? By experience. Painful experience. Builds character.
That's why you are given these exercises - to gain the experience.

Have you seen:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/NonhomogeneousDE.aspx

i.e. if the inhomogeniety is e^x, then try Ae^x as a particular solution.

For y''-2y'+2y = 0, you guess ##y=e^{\lambda x}## - which ends up with your solution right?
- expand the "right" answer in terms of powers of e and see if it matches yours.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon. I'm still a little confused. What do you mean by expanding it in terms of powers of e?

You can express sine and cosine as a sum of complex exponentials.
Look up Euler's formula.

general solutions of the form ##y=Ae^{\lambda_1x}+Be^{\lambda_2 x}##
and of form ##y=e^{ax}C\sin(x)+D\cos(x)## should be equivalent in this case.

Oh ok i see. Thanks

1. What are second order differential equations with undermined coefficients?

Second order differential equations with undermined coefficients are equations that contain a second derivative and have coefficients that are not explicitly given. These coefficients are typically represented by a function, such as e^x, cosx, or sinx.

2. How do you solve second order differential equations with undermined coefficients?

To solve these types of equations, you will need to use the method of undetermined coefficients. This involves guessing a solution based on the form of the coefficients and plugging it into the equation to determine the values of the coefficients. You may need to use trigonometric identities to simplify the solution.

3. What is the role of e^x, cosx, and sinx in solving these types of equations?

These functions are commonly used as the functions represented by the coefficients in second order differential equations with undermined coefficients. They are often present in equations that model natural phenomena, and their use in solving these equations allows for a more accurate representation of the system being studied.

4. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for solving these equations?

One helpful strategy is to start by setting up a characteristic equation, which involves taking the coefficients of the second order derivative and the first order derivative and setting them equal to 0. This can help determine the general form of the solution and make it easier to guess the particular solution.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a second order differential equation with undermined coefficients using e^x, cosx, and sinx?

Sure, here is an example: y'' + 2y' + 3y = e^x. First, we set up the characteristic equation: r^2 + 2r + 3 = 0. Solving for r, we get r = -1 ± i√2. This gives us the general solution y = Ae^(-x)cos(√2x) + Be^(-x)sin(√2x). Then, we guess a particular solution of the form y_p = Ce^x. Plugging this into the original equation, we get 4Ce^x = e^x. Therefore, C = 1/4 and the final solution is y = Ae^(-x)cos(√2x) + Be^(-x)sin(√2x) + 1/4e^x.