How fast does a hydraulic machine work?

In summary, the speed of a hydraulic machine is dependent on the flow rate of the fluid and the pressure in the system. The size of the connecting tube may also affect the speed. To add a picture on the forum, you can use the "Manage Attachments" option under the "Go Advanced" button when posting.
robhlee
How fast does a hydraulic machine work? The model i am thinking of is a simple two-sided setup, where the surface areas of the two platforms are different and a tube connects them. In terms of movement of the two platforms, how fast can the machine work. I am just looking for an approximation, like can it be instantaneous or are hydraulic machines usually very slow-moving?
Also, would the diameter of the tube connecting them (smaller than the diameter/surface area of either platform) affect the speed of the mechanism?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Robhlee, when I suggested that you have this moved to Engineering, I didn't mean for you to repost it. A mentor can relocate the complete thread for you.

In theory, the speed limiting factor of any hydraulic system is going to be the flow rate of the fluid. If you want a cylinder to extend at a certain rate, you need to have a flow rate that will fill that cylinder's volume as it is extending that fast. So to answer your question about the tube size having an effect, I would say that it depends. You need to create enough pressure in the system to provide the flow you need. If you have a very small tube, you need a pretty high pressure.

Your other questions are pretty vague. They are difficult, if not impossible to answer. Can you be more precise with what you want to know?

how can i show a picture on this forum (w/o creating a new topic) ?

You have to add it as an attachment. When you post, look for the "Go Advanced" button. When you press that a new post dialog will come up. One of the options below that is to "Manage Attachments." Use that to attach a picture or any other file that is on the list of approved attachments.

1. How does a hydraulic machine work?

A hydraulic machine works by using fluid pressure to generate force and motion. It involves a closed system of pipes, cylinders, and pistons filled with a fluid, typically oil. When force is applied to the fluid in one part of the system, it is transmitted throughout the system, resulting in movement of the machine's components.

2. What is the principle behind the speed of a hydraulic machine?

The speed of a hydraulic machine is determined by the rate at which the fluid is pumped into or out of the system. The faster the fluid is pumped, the faster the machine will move. This is because the fluid pressure increases with the rate of flow, resulting in a greater force being exerted on the pistons.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a hydraulic machine?

The speed of a hydraulic machine can be calculated using the formula: Speed = Flow Rate / Cross-Sectional Area. The flow rate is the volume of fluid that is pumped into or out of the system per unit of time, and the cross-sectional area is the size of the cylinder or piston that the fluid is acting on.

4. Can the speed of a hydraulic machine be adjusted?

Yes, the speed of a hydraulic machine can be adjusted by changing the flow rate of the fluid. This can be done by adjusting the size of the pump, or by using valves to control the flow of the fluid. By increasing or decreasing the flow rate, the speed of the machine can be adjusted accordingly.

5. What factors can affect the speed of a hydraulic machine?

The speed of a hydraulic machine can be affected by various factors, such as the size of the pump, the viscosity of the fluid, the design and size of the cylinders and pistons, and any resistance or load that the machine is working against. Additionally, any changes in temperature or pressure within the system can also affect the speed of the machine.