A question about Marion&Thornton book on Classical Mechanics (year 2)

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a book on Classical Dynamics of Particles & Systems. The book "University Physics" by Young and Freedman is recommended for a first year course, and it is questioned if "Marion and Thornton" is more suitable for a second year course. Recommendations for other books such as "Goldstein" and "Landau and Lifshi*tz" are also discussed. The general consensus is that "Goldstein" is a higher level book and "Marion and Thornton" is a traditional, but not very good, undergraduate dynamics book. Other recommended books include "Cassiday & Fowles", "Hand & Finch", and "José & Saletan".
droblly
Dear all,
I am wondering if Introduction Classical Dynamics of Particles & Systems (5 ed.) by Marion and Thornton is any good?
I have already studied year 1 Classical Mechanics course, using University Physics by Young and Freedman.
May I know if Marion&Thornton book is of higher level and suitable for year 2 undergrad Physics?
Would you recommend Goldstein or Thornton?

With thanks,
Felicity

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Goldstein is a honours level book. I am using Cassiday & Fowles, and I think it makes an excellent introduction to a book like Landau and Lifshi*tz, which would follow it very nicely.
P.S. my prof says Marion and Thornton is a good book.

Marion & Thornton is a pretty traditional book for undergraduate dynamics.

Traditional, but kind of crappy. Goldstein is in an entirely different league though, since it is supposed to be a graduate text.

Personally I like Hand & Finch for undergraduate dynamics, and José & Saletan at a more advanced level. Landau is a great text, but not for someone learning classical dynamics.

Thank you guys =)
I appreciate your help.

1. What is the main focus of the Marion&Thornton book on Classical Mechanics?

The main focus of the Marion&Thornton book is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to classical mechanics, covering topics such as Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms, rigid body motion, and small oscillations.

2. Is this book suitable for second-year students?

Yes, this book is designed specifically for second-year undergraduate students who have already completed a course in introductory physics and calculus.

3. Does the book include real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Yes, the book includes numerous examples and problems that demonstrate the relevance of classical mechanics in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and physics.

4. How does this book differ from other textbooks on classical mechanics?

This book stands out for its clear and concise explanations of concepts, numerous worked examples, and challenging problem sets that help students develop a strong understanding of classical mechanics.

5. Are there any prerequisites for using this book?

Yes, students should have a solid foundation in introductory physics, calculus, and linear algebra before using this book.