IE blocked download, involved Homework & Coursework forum

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, IE 6 on Windows XP experiences intermittent errors where a forum thread will not load, even after clearing the message, and will be replaced with a 'Page cannot be displayed' window. However, other websites do not exhibit this problem.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Earlier today, after entering the Homework & Coursework Questions forum and trying to enter the thread which BadFish started there, I.E. 7 blocked a download attempt. Later today, I find (using a different computer, and with I.E. 6) that the Homework & Coursework Questions forum will not open; only a partial image of that page appears and no other features fill.

(Not sure what prefix to give this posting: complaint or bug)

Physics news on Phys.org
Has anyone been able to reproduce this bug?

Hootenanny said:
Has anyone been able to reproduce this bug?

I'm not sure, but I think it is related to some new security in their system, I have had the problem of "Action Being Canceled" mainly when I reply to an e-mail. I have not found how to change this, other than, in tools turning off the security setting.

I think it is listed as "smart screen filter".

Ron

IE 8 seems to work fine and is free to download along with other brands of web browser.

So far, the download blockage message has not reoccurred. Occasionally, a page will not finish appearing in the window, but the 'back' or the 'refrsh' button clears this.

Do you get ads or do you have a HH perk of ad-free viewing? If you're ad-free, I have no other advice to offer. If you get ads, since it happened on two different page views, and is intermittent, I'd question if there's a bad ad that needs to be removed/blocked.

Moonbear,
I do not understand the terminology, "HH Perk", or "Ad-Free Viewing". What I have since been finding, is that when I attempt to pilot through the PF Forums, occasionally Internet Explorer will display a message saying that a page could not be opened; once the IE message is cleared, the expected PF page is actually viewable. This has been with IE 6. I do not remember the exact IE message, what it said. When I have a chance, I'll try to write exactly what was the message.

I'm still finding sometimes a PF page does not fully display, only showing a portion of the top, no text nor images below, and no vertical scrollbar; then using forward or back button, the display becomes full again.

No other websites show these problems; only Physics Forums. Currently, IE 6 in Windows XP.

HH = homework helper. I think one of the benefits of being a homework helper is that you can view the site without google ads.

As stated in post #7, another IE error message appeared upon trying to enter to view one of the forum threads. The message box from IE was this:

Microsoft Internet Explorer - titlebar
[X-image] Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=251199.
Operation aborted
[OK-button]

Upon clicking the OK button, the PF page was replaced with "Page cannot be displayed" window; upon clicking the 'refresh' button in Internet Explorer, the expected forum page displayed normally.

1. Why is my download being blocked by Internet Explorer?

There are several reasons why Internet Explorer (IE) may block a download. One possibility is that the website you are trying to download from is not secure or is on IE's list of potentially harmful sites. Another reason could be that your IE security settings are set to block downloads. It is also possible that the file you are trying to download is infected with malware or is a known malicious file.

2. How can I unblock a download in IE?

If your download is being blocked by IE, you can try adjusting your security settings to allow downloads from the specific website or changing IE's security level to a lower setting. You can also try using a different web browser, as some downloads may be blocked specifically by IE. If the file is infected with malware, it is recommended to not download it and to run a virus scan on your computer.

3. Is there a way to bypass IE's download block for a specific file?

It is not recommended to bypass IE's download block for a specific file, as it is in place for your own protection. If you trust the source of the file and are sure that it is not infected with malware, you can try adjusting your security settings to allow the download. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and not download potentially harmful files.

4. How does IE's download block affect my homework and coursework?

If your homework or coursework requires you to download files from a website, IE's download block may prevent you from accessing these files. In this case, it is best to contact your instructor or the IT department at your school for assistance. They may be able to provide an alternative way to access the necessary files or help you adjust your IE settings to allow the downloads.

5. Can I permanently disable IE's download block?

While it is possible to disable IE's download block, it is not recommended. This feature is in place to protect you from potentially harmful files and disabling it may put your computer at risk. It is best to only download files from trusted sources and to adjust IE's security settings as needed. If you frequently encounter issues with IE's download block, you may want to consider using a different web browser that may not have the same restrictions.