Recently received email from PF. is it spam?

• Thread starter curiouschris
  • Start date
In summary, an email was sent to a number that was registered on a physics forum, and the email was sent from a gmail account. The recipient is not a victim, so they won't play the game of approving a new account. An admin needs to check into the situation.
curiouschris
An odd one

I just got this email

I never registered recently and would have ignored it except it was sent from a gmail account (supposedly, although it seems legit) and the registered name was a number

I wondered if perhaps it was an attempt to spam physics forum by getting victims to unintentionally approve a new account by clicking the provided link

As I am not a victim I won't play that game

Can an Admin check into this.

Or just ditch it

CC

Code:
From - Wed Sep 16 09:34:13 2009
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: 1233032143-9226
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:                                                                                 
Return-path: <gregbernhardt(youknowwhat)gmail.com>
Envelope-to: ***************
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:20:18 +0930
Received: from 74.86.251.146-static.reverse.softlayer.com ([74.86.251.146] helo=pf2.physicsforums.com)
	by ************** with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
	(Exim 4.69)
	(envelope-from <gregbernhardt(youknowwhat)gmail.com>)
	id 1Mnhmr-0006hG-9q
	for ***************; Wed, 16 Sep 2009 09:20:18 +0930
Received: from nobody by pf2.physicsforums.com with local (Exim 4.69)
	(envelope-from <gregbernhardt(youknowwhat)gmail.com>)
	id 1Mnhmq-0007J4-Et
	for ************; Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:50:16 -0500
To: ************
Subject: Physicsforums.com Confirmation Email
From: "gregbernhardt(youknowwhat)gmail.com" <gregbernhardt(youknowwhat)gmail.com>
Message-ID: <20090915235016.8ff36232bf47@www.physicsforums.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:50:16 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - pf2.physicsforums.com
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - **************
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - gmail.com
X-ACL-Warn: spf checking being performed 74.86.251.146 from gmail.com [neutral]
X-Spam-Score: -1.7 (-)
X-SPF-comment: spf comment is -  
X-SPF-received: spf received was 
X-SPF-result: result of spf checks 

Hello 134039,

You still need to confirm this email to enable your physicsforums.com account.   This will allow you to start posting!

Just follow this link and you are all set.
[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/register.php?a=act&u=134[/PLAIN]  039&i=1545 8175

thanks,
Greg
PF CEO

P.S. the link is deliberately broken in case a bot tries to follow it. don't want a bad bot from registering do we.
Nice robots.txt by the way mind if I use it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The account awaiting confirmation is:

https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=134039

I guess the e-mail confirmation went a little late.

Is developerchri not an account of yours?

LOL a little late is an understatement

If the account is for developerchri which was a misspelling and the reason why I never approved it, then why was the email sent to "134039"

Had it said "Hello developerchri" I would have immediately known what it was and ignored it. and wondered why it was at least 6 months late.

Very confusingCC

Same join date...I'm guessing there was some confusion when you signed up. Somehow, though, the system just got around to reminding you to activate the account.

134039 is the user ID of that account on the vbulletin software the forum uses.

Problem solved.

Although its possibly a way for spammers to get accounts activated under pseudonyms. apart from heaping the blame for spam on innocent people I can't see its use, so probably just my wild imagination at work again :)

CC

It reminds me I must ask a few questions on PF. There are some things that are worrying me. Particularly with time dilation.

There doesn't seem to be enough of it at present and I am not getting my work done.

Thanks guys

CC

1. Is the email from PF spam?

The answer to this question depends on several factors. Firstly, it is important to check the sender's email address and verify if it is a legitimate email from PF or not. Also, look for any suspicious links or attachments in the email. If the email is unsolicited and contains suspicious content, it is likely spam.

2. How can I tell if the email from PF is a scam?

To determine if an email from PF is a scam, look for any red flags such as spelling and grammar errors, urgent requests for personal information or money, and unknown senders. You can also do a quick online search of the email content to see if others have reported it as a scam.

3. Should I respond to the email from PF?

If you are unsure about the legitimacy of the email, it is best to not respond. Replying to a spam email can confirm to the sender that your email address is active and may result in receiving more spam emails. If the email is from a known contact, you can verify with them through a separate communication channel before responding.

4. What should I do if I have already responded to the email from PF?

If you have already responded to the email, it is important to be cautious and monitor your financial accounts for any suspicious activity. You can also report the email as spam to your email provider and mark it as spam in your inbox.

5. Can I prevent receiving spam emails from PF in the future?

While it is impossible to completely prevent receiving spam emails, you can reduce the amount you receive by being cautious of sharing your email address, not responding to spam emails, and using spam filters on your email account. You can also report any spam emails you receive to your email provider.

Back