Notation for Principal Square Root?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use and interpretation of the square root symbol in mathematics. It is mentioned that using absolute value or a special notation, such as \sqrt[+]{9}, could denote the principal square root of a number. However, it is argued that the default interpretation of the symbol should be its broadest sense, representing both positive and negative roots. It is also noted that in some cases, only one value is needed and using multiple values can make calculations more complicated.
DocZaius
Hello,

I was just wondering if there is a special notation for a principal square root...

I suppose using absolute value would work..
[tex]\left|\sqrt{9}\right|=+3[/tex]

But it doesn't seem as fitting as an actual special square root symbol. Maybe something like this?
[tex]\sqrt[+]{9}=+3[/tex]

Also, [tex]+\sqrt{x}[/tex] could be ambiguous since it could mean [tex]+(\pm\sqrt{x})[/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I always thought it correct to denote the principal square root as

[tex]\sqrt{9}=3[/tex]

whereas both roots would be denoted as

[tex]\pm\sqrt{9}=\pm{3}[/tex]

pbandjay said:
I always thought it correct to denote the principal square root as

[tex]\sqrt{9}=3[/tex]

whereas both roots would be denoted as

[tex]\pm\sqrt{9}=\pm{3}[/tex]

That's interesting...To me it would seem that when using the square root symbol in its purest form, it should denote the meaning of a square root in its purest form...and that would be to indicate that positive numbers have two roots, positive and negative.

In other words, it would make sense to me that the default interpretation of the symbol in its simplest form should be its meaning in its broadest sense (two roots).

But if that's the convention, that's the convention I suppose...

DocZaius said:
That's interesting...To me it would seem that when using the square root symbol in its purest form, it should denote the meaning of a square root in its purest form...and that would be to indicate that positive numbers have two roots, positive and negative.

[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is not defined to be simply the square root of x, but the principal square root of x so there is nothing "pure" about [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]. pbandjay is right.

In other words, it would make sense to me that the default interpretation of the symbol in its simplest form should be its meaning in its broadest sense (two roots).
Actually what would make sense was for the default interpretation to be the easiest one to work with and the one you usually need. In many contexts there is no need to discriminate between [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{x}[/itex] so we only need one. When there is a need we just use the symbols [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] and [itex]-\sqrt{x}[/itex]. Attaching multiple values to [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] means that you can't attach a unique value to expressions such as [itex]\sqrt{4} + 3[/itex] and when actually working with square roots this is often desirable.

1. What is the notation for principal square root?

The notation for principal square root is √x, where x is the number under the radical sign.

2. How is the principal square root different from other square roots?

The principal square root is the positive square root of a number. It is the one that, when squared, gives the original number. Other square roots can be negative or complex.

3. Can the principal square root of a negative number be real?

No, the principal square root of a negative number cannot be real. This is because a negative number multiplied by itself will always result in a positive number, and the principal square root of a positive number is always positive.

4. What is the principal square root of a fraction?

The principal square root of a fraction is the square root of the numerator divided by the square root of the denominator. For example, the principal square root of 4/9 would be √4/√9 = 2/3.

5. How can I simplify the notation for principal square root?

The notation for principal square root can be simplified by factoring the number under the radical sign and identifying any perfect square factors. For example, √36 = √(6x6) = 6.