Projection of vectors and scalars

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of projecting vectors and scalars. The process of projecting one vector onto another is explained, and an analogy to a movie projector is used to illustrate the concept. It is clarified that projection of scalars does not have a specific meaning.
Red_CCF
Hi

I was wondering if someone can explain what projection of vectors and scalars mean. I read a lot of site but they fail to give me a clear explanation. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Projection of scalars doesn't mean anything, as far as I know. To project one vector, u, on another, v, drop a line perpendicular to from the tip of u to v. The projection of u on v is the vector from the base of v to that point.

To see the reason for the name, imagine that there is a light shining from behind u toward v. The "projection of u on v" is the shadow[/b] of v in exactly the same way a movie film is projected on the screen.

1. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar has only magnitude. Vectors are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. Scalars are represented by a single number.

2. How do you find the projection of a vector onto another vector?

To find the projection of a vector onto another vector, you first need to find the dot product of the two vectors. Then, divide the dot product by the magnitude of the vector onto which you are projecting. Finally, multiply this value by the vector onto which you are projecting to get the projection.

3. Can scalars be projected onto vectors?

No, scalars cannot be projected onto vectors because they do not have a direction. Projection involves finding the component of one vector in the direction of another vector, which cannot be done with a scalar.

4. How do you determine if two vectors are orthogonal?

To determine if two vectors are orthogonal, you need to find the dot product of the two vectors. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the vectors are orthogonal. This means that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees and they are perpendicular to each other.

5. What is the difference between projection and component of a vector?

Projection is the component of one vector in the direction of another vector, while the component of a vector is the magnitude in a specific direction. The projection is a scalar value, while the component is a vector. In other words, projection is a specific type of component of a vector.