Ultra Caps Now Available at Digikey - Check Out What's New!

• Thread starter willib
  • Start date
In summary, there is now a 110 Farad capacitor available for purchase at Digikey with a working voltage of 2.5V for $31.20. This is part of the UltraCapacitor and nanogate ultracapacitor line from Maxwell Technologies. These ultra capacitors have a low ESR of only a few tenths of a milli ohms and could potentially be stacked to create a powerful lightning arrester. Despite the potential for using ultra capacitors in a lightning project, there is currently limited data available on lightning and its effects on electronics. However, with advancements in technology, it may be possible to quickly detect and ground any over-voltage situations caused by lightning.
willib
Ultra caps have come to Digikey ...YAY..
you can now buy a 110 Farad capacitor with a working voltage of 2.5V for $31.20 in quantities of one..
for more info google ' UltraCapacitor ' or the newest ' nanogate ultracapacitor.'
or check out what's happening at Maxwell technologies
http://www.maxwell.com/ultracapacitors/products/BMOD2600-48.html
lots of stuff to look foward to in the future..

Engineering news on Phys.org
the reason i posted that, was , ehem , *clears throat , hesitates*
in the hope that soon somone with a lot of cash , will fund a lightning project..
with ultra capacitors super low ESR ( equilivent series resistance ) on the order of a few tenths milli ohms, (0.18 milli ohms for the 5000 Farad version) it seems to me that ten thousand of them stacked upon each other would only equal 1.8 ohms.. i realize that 10k @ 2.5V only eqals 25,000V ..
Howcome lightning arresters are only rated @ 6 k V ?
there really isn't much new data out there on lightning , same old sites..
although i havnt checked the U of Florida site lately.
anyway yes lightning is on the order of millions of volts , but is it really ?
what i mean is it must loose some of its voltage traveling through the atmosphere..
with todays super fast electronics , you would think that we could detect an over-voltage situation and quickly switch out to ground when the bank is full..

That's great news! It's always exciting to see new and innovative products becoming available at Digikey. Ultra caps have been gaining popularity in recent years for their high energy storage capacity and fast charging capabilities. It's amazing to see that Digikey now offers a 110 Farad capacitor with a working voltage of 2.5V for such an affordable price. Thank you for the information on the different types of ultra capacitors and the link to Maxwell Technologies. It's definitely worth keeping an eye on the advancements in this technology. I can't wait to see what other new products and developments will come out of the ultra capacitor industry. Thanks for sharing this update with us!

1. What are ultra caps?

Ultra caps, also known as ultracapacitors or supercapacitors, are energy storage devices that can store and release energy much faster than traditional batteries.

2. How do ultra caps differ from batteries?

Unlike batteries, ultra caps store energy in an electric field rather than through chemical reactions. This allows them to charge and discharge much quicker and have a longer lifespan.

3. What are the benefits of using ultra caps?

Ultra caps offer several benefits, including fast charging and discharging, high power density, and a longer lifespan. They also have a wider operating temperature range and are more environmentally friendly than traditional batteries.

4. How can I use ultra caps in my projects?

Ultra caps can be used in a variety of applications, including energy storage for renewable energy systems, backup power for electronic devices, and as a supplement to batteries in electric vehicles.

5. Where can I purchase ultra caps?

Digikey now offers ultra caps for purchase, making it easier for scientists, engineers, and hobbyists to incorporate them into their projects. Check out their website for the latest ultra cap options and specifications.

Back