Ansys Guru Needed: Troubleshooting Offshore Wind Turbine Tower Units

In summary, the problem the author is facing is that they are using SI units but their supervisor keeps insisting on using t/cm^3 and t instead. After converting to their own unit system and checking the answers, the author found that the nodal was off by around 0.3E-1.
sisquet
Hi!

I'm doing my master thesis about designing a offshore wind turbine tower for subarctic conditions and I have a major problem with units

I'm not much familiarised with Ansys, so I use Ansa as preprocessor and launch the solve in Ansys

The problem I have is in units. I'm using Ansys SI units but tweaked
Long. cm
Mass. Kp
Time. s

and therefore all units combinig those
P Kp/cm^2
dens Kp/cm^3
Force kp/cm·s^-2

the problem is that, my supervisor keeps on saying that for density and MASS21 elements i should use t/cm^3 and t and I don't like the reasons he has given me about it. Furthermore when i run a Block lanzos nodal calculation my first mode is around 0.3E-1 which is far away from expected result of 0.3Hz.
So when i run with density 7.85E-3 i and i tell ansys so extract 4 first modes i got in comand window like, not kidding, +400 solutions and this before cancelling the calculation after 20min when with the other density doesn't take more than 1 min to find results

Im kind of stuck, cause if the nodal is not correct it makes no sense that i waste time trying to optimise an estatic and dynamic model

Please any Ansys guru could help? thanks a million

Engineering news on Phys.org
My advice woud be stop wasting your time with these questions and just use basic SI units.

Or if you really want to do this, make a simple model in basic SI units, then convert it you your own unit system and check the answers are the same. (And if they aren't the same, go back to my first piece of advice).

I agree with AlephZero, you're better off just using standard units and converting back to whatever you want AFTER you've gotten your solution.

Hi guys!

thanks a million with your answers! did a quick change to SI units and works perfect! I think going to keep with SI units...the problem will be to convince my supervisor about it...cause he was not happy of having results in Pa or J, but whatever, I'm done in going crazy as to set a consistend set of units

Problem solved, mod can close the thread

You can convert the results to any set of units your professor wants, but I'm having trouble understanding why he would want anything other than standard SI...

to get results in MPa is my guess...

sisquet: You can use either of the following sets of consistent units.

(1) Newton (N), meter (m), second (s), pascal (Pa), kilogram (kg), joule (J).
(2) Newton (N), millimeter (mm), second (s), megapascal (MPa), tonne (t), millijoule (mJ).

Item 1 is standard SI. Item 2 is my favorite. If in doubt, use item 1. Avoid cm.

If you use item 2, then the units of density and mass are t/mm^3 and t, respectively. Therefore, e.g., your density in post 1 would then become 7850.0e-12 t/mm^3, or 7.85e-9 t/mm^3.

By the way, some of your unit symbols are misspelled in post 1. Always use correct spelling and capitalization of units. E.g., the unit symbol for kilopond is kp, not Kp. Kp means kelvin pico.

However, completely avoid using kilopond; it is inconsistent and incoherent.

Also, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 0.3 Hz, not 0.3Hz.

Last edited:

What is Ansys?

Ansys is a computer-aided engineering software that is used for simulation and analysis. It is widely used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and energy to simulate and test designs before they are physically built.

Why is an Ansys guru needed for troubleshooting offshore wind turbine tower units?

Ansys is a complex software that requires expertise to use effectively. Offshore wind turbine tower units are complex structures that undergo extreme environmental conditions, making it crucial to have an Ansys guru who can troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the design and testing process.

What types of problems can an Ansys guru troubleshoot for offshore wind turbine tower units?

An Ansys guru can troubleshoot a wide range of problems such as structural stability, fatigue analysis, and dynamic response of the tower units. They can also help with optimizing the design for better performance and reducing costs.

How can an Ansys guru help with offshore wind turbine tower unit design?

Ansys gurus have a deep understanding of the software's capabilities and can use it to accurately simulate and analyze the behavior of tower units under various conditions. This allows them to identify potential issues and make design recommendations to improve the overall performance and reliability of the units.

What qualifications should an Ansys guru have for troubleshooting offshore wind turbine tower units?

An Ansys guru should have a strong background in engineering, specifically in the field of wind energy. They should also have extensive experience using Ansys for simulation and analysis, as well as a thorough understanding of wind turbine design principles and industry standards.