Determining pH of Solution: 2 Acid Mix with HCl and CH3COOH

• Thread starter firyace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids Ph
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the pH of a solution with two acids. One solution contains 10.00mL of 1x10^-9M HCl and the other contains 50.00mL of 1*10^-4 M CH3COOH. The questions asked include the concentration of Cl^- in the solution, the pH of the solution, and the concentration of CH3COOH in the solution. The expert suggests that the contribution of H+ from the HCl is negligible and the pH of the first solution is 7.00. They also suggest using a regular equilibrium problem to calculate the pH of the other solution. The conversation ends with confusion over the volume of the solution.
firyace
Hi, I got a problem with something regarding to chemistry. How can you determine the pH of a solution with two Acids?

The question says that A 50.00 mL aqueous solution is made by mixing the following two solutions:

10.00mL 1x10^-9M HCl

50.00mL 1*10^-4 M CH3COOH (Ka= 1.8*10^-5)

a) What is the Cl^- in the 50.00mL solution?
b)What is the pH in the 50mL solution?
c) What is the [CH3COOH] in the 50mL solution?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In general it is difficult to calculate pH of such solution, but here... Look at the concentration of hydrochloric acid. What pH does it have without acetic acid?

This is my guess (please take this lightly):

The contribution of H+ from the HCl will be negligible compared to the contribution from water, which would make the pH of the first solution 7.00. To figure out the pH of the other solution, just do a regular equilibrium problem using the acetic acid. The initial H+ concentration will be 1.0 x 10^-9, but I don't think it will matter because it's negligible.

Note: I'm confused as to why the question says that a 50 mL solution is formed instead of a 60 mL solution...

You are correct on both accounts - pH and volume ;)

So now I am confused, do I just neglect the HCl totally because that the concentration is neglegible?

'm confused as to why the question says that a 50 mL solution is formed instead of a 60 mL solution...
Yesterday 06:30 AM
:bugeye: that is what it said for the question.

firyace said:
So now I am confused, do I just neglect the HCl totally because that the concentration is neglegible?

Yes.

Related to Determining pH of Solution: 2 Acid Mix with HCl and CH3COOH

What is "PH with 2 acids"?

"PH with 2 acids" refers to a solution that contains two different acidic substances. The pH of this solution will depend on the concentration and strength of each acid, as well as their reaction with each other.

How do you calculate the pH of a solution with 2 acids?

The pH of a solution with 2 acids can be calculated by using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the pKa values and concentrations of each acid. Alternatively, you can also measure the pH directly using a pH meter.

What happens when two acids are mixed together in a solution?

When two acids are mixed together in a solution, they may react with each other to form a new compound. This can affect the pH of the solution, as well as the concentration and strength of the individual acids.

Can the pH of a solution with 2 acids be lower than the pH of each individual acid?

Yes, the pH of a solution with 2 acids can be lower than the pH of each individual acid. This is because the acids may have a synergistic effect, meaning that their combined strength is greater than their individual strengths.

How does the presence of 2 acids in a solution affect its pH buffer capacity?

The presence of 2 acids in a solution can increase its pH buffer capacity. This is because the two acids can work together to resist changes in pH, making the solution more stable and less prone to drastic pH shifts.