Find a Good Book on General Relativity for Undergrad Physics Students

• Thread starter fys iks!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about the search for a book on general relativity that includes both theories and mathematical details. Suggestions for books include "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity" by J.B. Hartle, "General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M.P. Hobson, G.P. Efstathiou, and A.N. Lasenby, and "General Relativity" by R.M. Wald. The conversation ends with the individual planning to check out all of the suggested books, with a preference for Hartle's book due to its focus on physics rather than heavy mathematical concepts.
fys iks!
Hey i was wondering if someone could help me out here,

Im trying to find a book to read which will give me the amount of understanding an undergrad physics student would have in general relativity. I'm looking for a book that doesn't just go over the theories but also goes into the mathematical details.

any suggestions??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
J. B. Hartle, “Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein’s General Relativity“, Addison Wesley (2002).

In my opinion Schutz's book is the best for undergraduate GR. Carroll is good too, but might be a bid too advanced.

Schutz is a good introduction. I haven't read Hartle. If you want the mathematical details, you should get Wald as well. If money isn't an issue, buy an "easy" book and Wald.

thanks for the replys!

im probably going to check out all of the books above and see which i like the best

Definitely Hartle. He teaches as much Physics as possible without frontloading the book with Riemannian geometry.

You could try General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists by M. P. Hobson, G. P. Efstathiou, and A. N. Lasenby. I haven't read it yet, though.

1. What is the best book to learn about general relativity for undergraduate physics students?

The best book to learn about general relativity for undergraduate physics students is "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard F. Schutz. It is a highly recommended textbook for its clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

2. Can you recommend a book on general relativity that is suitable for self-study?

"General Relativity for Babies" by Chris Ferrie is a great option for self-study. It presents the basic concepts of general relativity in a simple and accessible way, making it a great choice for beginners.

3. Is there a book on general relativity that includes practical applications and real-world examples?

"Exploring Black Holes: Introduction to General Relativity" by Edwin F. Taylor and John Archibald Wheeler is a popular textbook that not only covers the theoretical aspects of general relativity, but also includes practical applications and real-world examples to help students better understand the concepts.

4. Are there any supplemental materials available to accompany the textbook?

Yes, "Introduction to General Relativity" by Lewis Ryder includes a companion website with interactive simulations, practice problems, and additional resources for students to further enhance their understanding of the subject.

5. Can you recommend a book on general relativity that is suitable for advanced undergraduate students?

"General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists" by M. P. Hobson, G. P. Efstathiou, and A. N. Lasenby is a highly recommended textbook for advanced undergraduate students. It provides a rigorous treatment of general relativity with a focus on mathematical formalism and advanced topics.