How do I make a Complex 'C' in Latex for sets?

In summary, The conversation discussed how to make a nice looking Complex 'C' when writing a set in Latex and provided an example of the code. The conversation also mentioned other common Latex fonts and a helpful link for writing math inline with text.
mesa
Gold Member
Hello all, I was wondering how to make that nice looking Complex 'C' when writing a set in Latex. For example,
$$\{k\in C\mid k>0\}$$ looks okay but can be better.

Physics news on Phys.org
\mathbb{C}? (The ? is not a part of it)

Likes 1 person
$$\{k\in \mathbb{C}\mid k>0\}$$

That's it, thanks!

No problem! For future reference, other common LaTeX fonts include

Bold \mathbf [itex]\mathbf{a},\mathbf{A}[/itex]
Roman (not italicized unlike the regular math text) \mathrm [itex]\mathrm{a},\mathrm{A}[/itex]
Fraktur \mathfrak [itex]\mathfrak{a},\mathfrak{A}[/itex]
Calligraphic \mathcal [itex]\mathcal{A}[/itex]
Script \mathscr [itex]\mathscr{A}[/itex]

And probably something I forgot.

Likes 1 person

1. How do I make a Complex 'C' in Latex for sets?

To make a Complex 'C' in Latex for sets, you can use the command \mathbb{C} or \mathcal{C} depending on the font style you prefer. This will give you the symbol for the set of complex numbers.

2. Can I customize the size and style of the Complex 'C' symbol in Latex?

Yes, you can customize the size and style of the Complex 'C' symbol by using the \mathbb{C} or \mathcal{C} command with additional font size and style commands. For example, \Huge\mathbb{C} will give you a larger version of the symbol.

3. How do I make a Complex 'C' symbol with a subscript in Latex?

To make a Complex 'C' symbol with a subscript in Latex, you can use the command \mathbb{C}_n to add a subscript n to the symbol. You can also use the _ command to add multiple subscripts, such as \mathbb{C}_{n_1n_2}.

4. Is there a way to make a Complex 'C' symbol with a bar on top in Latex?

Yes, you can make a Complex 'C' symbol with a bar on top by using the \overline command. For example, \overline{\mathbb{C}} will give you a Complex 'C' symbol with a bar on top.

5. Can I use the Complex 'C' symbol in both inline and display equations in Latex?

Yes, you can use the Complex 'C' symbol in both inline and display equations in Latex. Simply use the \mathbb{C} or \mathcal{C} command within the equation environment you are using.