How many layers of atoms were deposited on the pennies during the experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving pennies that were heated and analyzed for changes in mass and density. The participants are seeking help in calculating the average number of layers of atoms deposited on the coins and the thickness of this layer. They also mention the surface area of the coins and the amount of atoms added to the surface, and ask for any hints or assistance in solving the problem.
rachelle
i don't know where to post this, but we did a little experiment on pennies, and I'm having trouble with analyzing the calculations...

basically the pennies turned into silver, the other gold.. after we heat it, etc

inc. in mass of the pennies .0006 g
density of the solid added to the coins = 7.65 g/cc
atomic mass of the solid added to the coins = 32.8 g/mol
diameter of ea coin = 2.12 cm
thickness of ea coin = 1.59 mm

assume coins are circular discs & atoms are tiny cubes which stack one on top of ea other. calculate the average number of laters of atoms deposited on your coins. also calculate the thickness of this layer

surface area of ea coin, top+bottom+ side = ? sq cm
millimoles of atoms added to surface of coins = ? mmol
total surface area covered y the plated metal (area covered if one atom thick) = ? sq cm
average layers of atoms added = ?
average thickness of plated metal coating = ?

Any Help/Hints? Much appreciated.. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
if we assume coins to be circular, the surface area of the coin can be calculated with [tex] \frac {1} {4}\cdot \pi\cdot d^{2}[/tex]

If you know what the increase in mass of the coin is, you know how many grams of the atoms of the solution is added to the coin.

you can convert that to amount of atoms with the number of Avogadro and if you know the atom radius of the involved atoms, you can calculate the amount of layers on the coin.

Based on the information provided, it is not possible to accurately determine the exact number of layers of atoms deposited on the pennies during the experiment. This is because the thickness of each layer of atoms will depend on the arrangement and packing of the atoms, which can vary. Additionally, the amount of atoms deposited may also vary depending on factors such as temperature and pressure during the experiment.

To determine an approximate number of layers, you can use the following calculations:

1. Calculate the surface area of each coin using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the coin (in this case, half of the diameter).

2. Convert the thickness of each coin from millimeters to centimeters (1.59 mm = 0.159 cm).

3. Calculate the volume of each coin using the formula V = πr^2h, where h is the thickness of the coin.

4. Convert the mass of the solid added to the coins from grams to milligrams (0.0006 g = 0.6 mg).

5. Use the density of the solid added to the coins to calculate the volume of the solid added (V = m/d).

6. Convert the atomic mass of the solid added from grams to milligrams (32.8 g/mol = 32,800 mg/mol).

7. Use the atomic mass and millimoles of atoms added to calculate the number of atoms deposited on each coin (n = mmol x 6.022 x 10^23 atoms/mol).

8. Divide the number of atoms by the surface area of each coin to get an approximate number of atoms per square centimeter.

9. Divide the volume of the solid added by the surface area of each coin to get the thickness of the layer of atoms deposited.

However, please keep in mind that these calculations will only provide an estimate and the actual number of layers may vary. It is also important to consider any potential errors in the measurements and calculations that may affect the accuracy of the results. It is always recommended to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average to get a more accurate result.

1. Why do I keep making mistakes in my calculations?

There could be various reasons for making mistakes in calculations, such as using the wrong formula, incorrect data input, or a lack of understanding of the concepts. It is important to double-check your work and identify the source of the error.

2. How can I improve my accuracy in calculations?

Practicing regularly and reviewing basic math concepts can help improve accuracy in calculations. You can also use tools such as calculators or spreadsheets to reduce human error. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or colleague can improve your understanding and accuracy.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a calculation?

If you are stuck on a calculation, take a step back and review the problem. Make sure you have all the necessary information and understand the formula. If you are still struggling, ask for help from a colleague or consult external resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes in complex calculations?

First, make sure you understand the problem and have all the necessary information. Break down the calculation into smaller steps and double-check your work at each step. Additionally, using a calculator or spreadsheet can reduce the chances of making errors in complex calculations.

5. How important is it to show my work in calculations?

Showing your work in calculations is crucial in the scientific field. It allows others to understand your thought process and check for errors. It also helps you identify and correct mistakes in your calculations. Additionally, showing your work is important for reproducibility and accuracy in scientific research.