Underground Storage Tank subjected to any loading when it is in burying?

In summary, the conversation discusses the load and volume of soil on top of a horizontal tank, as well as the distribution of force along the curved surface and any stress applied from the side or bottom. The idea of modeling the tank as a buried pipe is also mentioned, with a suggestion to check out pipe manufacturer websites for more information. The concept of stress being equal to the unit weight of the soil multiplied by the depth is explained, with a mention of adding hydrostatic pressure if there is underground water. A link to a website with more information on stress profiles is provided.
baleno911
:smile: As i know there was the load for the weight of tank itself, second will be the volume of the soil on the top of the tank.
Since the horizontal tank is round at the upper part, so is that the force wil be uniformlly distributed along the curve surface?
Is that any force of stress applied from the side? bottom part?

Could i get info in more details in any website?

i appreciate it! :!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, the support is from both the top and bottom curves of the cylinder when positioned on it's side (with a bit of support also from the vertical end walls).

In this case the cylinder is basically two "arches" joined together. One arch is right side up and the other is upside down. :wink:

moo

Sounds like you might be able to model it just like a big burried pipe. Check out some pipe mfg. sites.

baleno911 said:
Is that any force of stress applied from the side? bottom part?

Basically, the stress equals [tex]\sigma = \gamma \cdot z[/tex], where [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the unit weight of the soil, in [kN / m^3], and z the depth. If there is underground water, you'll have to add the hydrostatic pressure, i.e. the pore pressure.

You may want to investigate this link: http://fbe.uwe.ac.uk/public/geocal/SoilMech/stresses/default.htm". (Click on 'stress profile applet'.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Underground Storage Tank subjected to any loading when it is in burying?

What is an underground storage tank?

An underground storage tank (UST) is a large container that is buried underground and used to store liquids such as petroleum products, chemicals, or waste materials. These tanks are commonly used in industries, businesses, and homes for storage purposes.

What types of loading can underground storage tanks be subjected to?

Underground storage tanks can be subjected to various types of loading, including hydrostatic pressure from the surrounding soil, thermal expansion and contraction, and external forces from nearby structures or vehicles.

What are the risks associated with underground storage tanks?

The risks associated with underground storage tanks include leakage or spills, which can contaminate the surrounding soil and water sources, as well as pose a fire or explosion hazard. In addition, the structural integrity of the tank can be compromised due to corrosion or other factors, leading to potential collapse or failure.

What measures are taken to ensure the safety of underground storage tanks?

To ensure the safety of underground storage tanks, they are made of durable materials such as steel or fiberglass and are designed to withstand the various types of loading they may be subjected to. They are also required to be regularly inspected and maintained to prevent corrosion and other issues. In addition, measures such as secondary containment systems and leak detection systems are often implemented to prevent and detect leaks.

What should be done if an underground storage tank is no longer in use?

If an underground storage tank is no longer in use, it should be properly closed and removed from the ground to prevent any potential hazards. This process typically involves draining and cleaning the tank, excavating it from the ground, and disposing of it according to local regulations. It is important to consult with a professional and obtain any necessary permits before taking any action.