Calculating Moment of Inertia for a Physical Pendulum

In summary, The conversation discusses building a physical pendulum and investigating the change in period with changing mass. The person also mentions mathematically and computationally modeling the pendulum and trying to figure out the equations of motion needed for the model. They are specifically wondering how to calculate the moment of inertia, and ask for advice on merging equations for a solid and hollow cylinder. Other participants in the conversation offer helpful tips and resources, including the parallel axis theorem and a list of moments of inertia.
sajama
Hi,

Would appreciate any help anyone has for me.

I am building a physical pendulum of sort, which consists of a hollow cylinder, which I am going to fill with sand. I am going to let the sand flow out of the pendulum and investigate the change in period with changing mass.

I also am mathematically/computationally modelling this. I am currently trying to figure out the equations of motion that I'm going to need to model this. I know the equation for the period of a physical pendulum is T=2*pi*sqrt(I/mgh), where h will be changing at a constant rate.
I'm wondering how to calculate the moment of inertia. I've found equations on hyperphysics for common moments of inertia (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/mi.html#) but as my pendulum is going to be partly a solid cylinder and partly a hollow one, I'm not sure how to merge these equations. Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
sajama said:
… I'm wondering how to calculate the moment of inertia. I've found equations on hyperphysics for common moments of inertia (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/mi.html#) but as my pendulum is going to be partly a solid cylinder and partly a hollow one, I'm not sure how to merge these equations. Has anyone got any advice?

Hi sajama! :smile:

moment of inertia is additive …

so just add the moments of inertia of the two cylinders as if they were completely separate. :smile:

And of course, you'll also need the parallel axis theorem, since your moment of inertia is not about the centre of mass. :wink:

(btw, there's a better list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia" … and you need to learn all of them :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can just algebraically add moment of inertia of various bodies if they have the same axis of rotation.

1. What is a model of physical pendulum?

A model of physical pendulum is a simplified representation of a real-life pendulum system that is used to study and understand the behavior of pendulums. It consists of a mass attached to a rigid rod or wire that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

2. What are the factors that affect the motion of a physical pendulum?

The factors that affect the motion of a physical pendulum include the length of the pendulum, the mass of the object, the angle at which it is released, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is the period of a physical pendulum calculated?

The period of a physical pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(I/mgd), where T is the period, I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance between the point of suspension and the center of mass of the pendulum.

4. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a physical pendulum?

A simple pendulum consists of a small mass attached to a string or wire and is free to swing back and forth in a single plane. A physical pendulum, on the other hand, has a rigid body as its swinging element and can oscillate in multiple planes.

5. How is a physical pendulum used in real-life applications?

A model of physical pendulum is commonly used in physics experiments and demonstrations to study the principles of oscillatory motion. It is also used in engineering and design to analyze the stability and dynamics of structures, such as bridges and buildings, that may experience pendulum-like movements due to external forces.