Why is it useful to isolate the highest order derivative when solving DEs?

• Thread starter cocopops12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the book states that the coefficient of the highest derivative of a differential equation should always be 1. This is done to simplify the problem.
cocopops12
i'm studying differential equations, the book states the following:

11v4f2u.png

i want to know what are some of the "theoretical and computational purposes" behind it?

i always notice the book likes to make the coefficient of the highest derivative equal to 1
but why is that?!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've done Euler's method or separation of variables, you saw in the first order case how you have to solve for the derivative as a function of x and y. This extends to higher orders... suppose we have a second order differential equation

[tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = x*y + \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
and y(0)=1, y'(0)=1

I want to do an Euler's method kind of calculation. This requires knowing the derivative at every step. Unfortunately I don't have a formula for the derivative, so I have to use the second derivative to re-calculate the derivative each time

y(.1)=y(0)+.1*y'(0) = 1.1
y'(.1)=y'(0)+.1*y''(0)
I know what y''(0) is from the differential equation: y''(0)=0*1+1=1
y'(.1)=1+.1*1=1.1

Now if I want to update to get y(.2) and y'(.2), I need to know what y''(.1) is. So I use the differential equation
y''(.1) = xy+y' = .1*1.1+1.1 = 1.21

Now I can go to x=.2
y(.2)=y(.1)+.1*y'(.1)=1.21
y'(.2)=y'(.1)+.1*y''(.1)=1.221

Now I need to know what y''(.2) is because I want to be able to calculate y and y' at x=.3, etc. So

y''(.2)=x*y+y' = .2*1.21+1.221 = 1.463

Now I can keep going, estimating y(x) for as large a value of x as I want. The computation only required being able to solve for the second derivative of y at each step, since I already knew all the lower derivatives, so it was useful to have the equation in the form y''=f(x,y,y')

thank you sir!, haven't studied Euler's Method yet, but i do get the idea.

anyone got more info or examples? :biggrin:

1. Why do we need to isolate the highest order derivative when solving DEs?

Isolating the highest order derivative in a differential equation allows us to write the equation in a more simplified form, making it easier to solve and analyze. It also helps us to identify the type of differential equation and choose an appropriate method for solving it.

2. Can we solve a differential equation without isolating the highest order derivative?

While it is possible to solve some differential equations without isolating the highest order derivative, it is not recommended as it can result in a more complicated and difficult equation to solve. Isolating the highest order derivative is a standard technique that makes the process of solving differential equations more efficient and accurate.

3. How does isolating the highest order derivative help in finding the general solution of a differential equation?

Isolating the highest order derivative allows us to rearrange the equation into a form that can be easily integrated, making it possible to find the general solution. It also helps us to identify any initial conditions that may be needed to find a particular solution.

4. Is isolating the highest order derivative always necessary when solving DEs?

No, isolating the highest order derivative is not always necessary. In some cases, the differential equation may already be in a form that is easy to solve without isolating the highest order derivative. However, it is a good practice to always check if isolating the highest order derivative can simplify the equation and make the solution process easier.

5. Are there any disadvantages to isolating the highest order derivative when solving DEs?

One potential disadvantage of isolating the highest order derivative is that it may result in a loss of information about the equation. This can make it more difficult to interpret the meaning of the solution. Additionally, isolating the highest order derivative may not always be possible for more complex differential equations, making the solution process more challenging.