Find the Best Maths Package for Control Engineering Projects

• Thread starter phlegmy
  • Start date
In summary: Anyone can choose whichever software they feel most comfortable working with. In summary, MathCad is a more user-friendly software, while MATLAB is more powerful. However, both Mathcad and MATLAB have free trials, so you can try them out before you buy.
phlegmy
hey guys just wondering what's the best maths package around
i have a student edition of mathcad which is fine for what it does.
i have just gotten MATLAB with simulink which on first impression seems like i'd have to spend months and months before i'd be useful at it. I'm doing a control engineering based final year project and was interested in what i heard simulink could do for me
has anyone any experience with simulink.+how big a learning curve
OR
what packages do you use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Right now, on my comupter, I have: http://www.mathcad.com/" . For most things that I do, Mathcad is good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
phlegmy said:
hey guys just wondering what's the best maths package around
i have a student edition of mathcad which is fine for what it does.
i have just gotten MATLAB with simulink which on first impression seems like i'd have to spend months and months before i'd be useful at it. I'm doing a control engineering based final year project and was interested in what i heard simulink could do for me
has anyone any experience with simulink.+how big a learning curve
OR
what packages do you use?
For control engineering Matlab is excellent. Besides Simulink, there is a Control Toolbox available that allows you to model virtually anything you need.

I was wondering whether Simulink could help me solve https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=301390"?
I would prefer to stay with SolidWorks because I already use it for 3D modeling so I guess it will be easier to learn, but I don't think CosmosWorks could do that.
What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

I found that MathCad had the smallest learning curve, it is so easy and obvious, and not really found many limits. It integrates with Excel and Matlab with ease, which helps remove all the limits that i have come upon.

MatLab took me ages to work out, about 4 weeks until i was up to speed with it so i could use it efficiently. Took me days for MathCad.

Maple has its good points, i prefer doing some calculations in Maple as i find it much easier, but its not as user friendly as MathCad when it comes to view back what you have done. Also Maple is not as friendly with placement of equations and the likes, and a few others things.

I have never used mathmatica, but lead think its great and i would like to get a copy some day to see how good it is, if they had a 30 day trial i would take a try at it.

MathCad has a 30 day trial, not sure about Maple and MatLab though.

I've worked with MatLab, Mathematica, and Maple, and I prefer Maple by far over the other two. I particularly like the powerful closed form solution capablility (Mathematica has this also) and an easier interface than Mathematica.

A whole lot of this comes down to personal preferences, I think.

1. What is the importance of finding the best maths package for control engineering projects?

Finding the best maths package for control engineering projects is crucial because it allows for accurate mathematical calculations and simulations, which are necessary for the design and analysis of control systems. This ensures the efficiency and success of control engineering projects.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a maths package for control engineering projects?

Some factors to consider when choosing a maths package for control engineering projects include the complexity of the project, the required mathematical functions and tools, compatibility with other software and systems, and the cost and availability of the package.

3. Are there specific maths packages that are recommended for control engineering projects?

Yes, there are several maths packages that are commonly used for control engineering projects, such as MATLAB, Simulink, and Python. These packages offer a wide range of mathematical functions and tools specifically designed for control systems.

4. Can I use multiple maths packages for a control engineering project?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple maths packages for a control engineering project. However, it is important to ensure compatibility between the packages and to have a clear understanding of the strengths and limitations of each package.

5. How can I determine if a maths package is suitable for my control engineering project?

To determine if a maths package is suitable for your control engineering project, you can evaluate its features and functions, read reviews and feedback from other users, and try out a demo or trial version if available. It is also helpful to consult with other engineers or experts in the field.