Can These Mathematical Proofs Determine the Limit of a Function?

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function f on an interval I in R, where the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is equal to L. The problem states that there exists a constant K and L such that |f(x) - L| is less than or equal to K|x-c| for all x in I. The conversation then goes on to discuss potential solutions, such as finding a suitable delta and K, and using the given information to prove the limit.
semidevil
let I be an interval in R, let f: I --> R and let c belong to I. suppose there exists a constant K and L such that |f(x) - L <= K|x-c| for x in I. show that the limit as x --> c of f(x) = L.

I"m looking at this, but I don't know how to start. From what I know, this is very very familiar. the sentence ..."suppose there exists a constant K and L such that |f(x) - L| <= K|x-c|," doesn't this pretty much imply the statement?

while I am doing practice problems, I always see this form and as soon as I find a delta and K, it pretty much assumes the answer. I feel that I am close, but I don't know how to go about it.

maybe, let epsilon > 0, then we find a bound for |x - c|, and once we find K, this means |f(x) - L <= K|x-c|. then, we choose delta := inf(delta, 1/k*epsilon),

then, if 0 < | x - c | < delta, it is proved..

close? way off?

how about this one:

lim as x to c, of root(x) = root(c) for c >0.

how would I do that?

can I square both sides? and have | x - c| < e?

Physics news on Phys.org
YOu can't "find K", it is given in the question.

Given e>0, let d=e/K, then, if |x-c|<d it follows that |f(x)-L| < e.

for the last one sqrt(x) - sqrt(c) = (x-c)/(sqrt(x)+sqrt(c))

so, if |x-c| <d, then c-d < x< c+d.

assume d sufficiently small such that c-d > c/2, so that sqrt(x)+sqrt(c) > sqrt(c)(1+sqrt(3/2)) define this to be K.

then |x-c|<d implies |sqrt(x)-sqrt(c)| < d/K

so, given e>0, pick d sufficiently small such that d/K is less than e, which can be done.

To prove the statement, we need to show that for any given epsilon > 0, there exists a delta > 0 such that if 0 < |x-c| < delta, then |f(x) - L| < epsilon. This would prove that the limit as x approaches c of f(x) is equal to L.

1. First, let's choose an arbitrary epsilon > 0. We want to find a delta that satisfies the condition above. Since we are given that |f(x) - L| <= K|x-c|, we can rewrite this as |f(x) - L|/|x-c| <= K. This means that for any given epsilon, we can choose delta < epsilon/K.

2. Next, we want to show that if 0 < |x-c| < delta, then |f(x) - L| < epsilon. We can use the condition given to us to rewrite this as |f(x) - L| <= K|x-c|. Since we have already chosen delta < epsilon/K, we can substitute this in and get |f(x) - L| < epsilon/K * |x-c|.

3. Now, we can use the fact that |x-c| < delta to simplify the expression further. We get |f(x) - L| < epsilon/K * delta. Since delta < epsilon/K, we can substitute this in and get |f(x) - L| < epsilon. This completes the proof that the limit as x approaches c of f(x) is equal to L.

For the second question, we can follow a similar approach.

1. Let epsilon > 0 be given. We want to find a delta > 0 such that if 0 < |x-c| < delta, then |√(x) - √(c)| < epsilon.

2. We can rewrite this as |√(x) - √(c)|/|x-c| < K, where K is some constant. We can see that K = 1/√(c) satisfies this condition.

3. Now, we can choose delta < epsilon*K = epsilon/√(c). This satisfies the condition that if 0 < |x-c| < delta, then |√(x) - √(c)| < epsilon.

This proves that the limit as x approaches c of √(x)

What is the concept behind "3 questions prove them"?

The concept behind "3 questions prove them" is to use three carefully crafted questions to gather specific information and prove a point or argument. It is a technique often used in scientific research and critical thinking.

How does "3 questions prove them" differ from traditional methods of inquiry?

Unlike traditional methods of inquiry, "3 questions prove them" is designed to be more precise and targeted. It focuses on asking specific questions that will lead to a clear and concise conclusion or evidence.

What are the benefits of using "3 questions prove them" in scientific research?

The benefits of using "3 questions prove them" in scientific research include increased accuracy and efficiency in gathering and analyzing data. It also helps to eliminate bias and allows for the formation of evidence-based conclusions.

Can "3 questions prove them" be applied to all areas of science?

Yes, "3 questions prove them" can be applied to all areas of science. It is a universal method of inquiry that can be used in fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and social sciences.

What are the potential limitations of using "3 questions prove them"?

Some potential limitations of using "3 questions prove them" include the need for careful consideration of the questions being asked, and the possibility of overlooking important information or variables. It also relies on the ability to interpret and analyze data accurately.