Transforming a vector in spherical coordinates

In summary, the speaker has a Green's function with impulses along a line from the north pole to the origin and wants to rotate it to a new coordinate system. They use an angle ψ between the field point and the source, and transform the basis vectors to a coordinate system where the source is not on the line through the north pole. However, when testing for a specific value of θsource, the speaker gets a different result and is looking for help finding their error or a reference to compare their method to.
SupernerdSven
I've got a Green's function in which all the impulses are on the line from the north pole to the origin (polar angle θ=0) and terminating with a point impulse at the north pole. I've found its gradient at a field point, and I want to rotate everything to a new coordinate system with the source line at arbitrary θ and azimuthal angle Ω. What I've done is:
1. Find the angle ψ between the field point and the source.
2. Use ψ in the formula which returns the gradient for a source on the line to the north pole. Note that since the basis vectors use the north pole as a reference location, this effectively has the source's location as a reference location.
3. Since the result of step 2 is the field in terms of the basis vectors the source's location, I next transform the basis vectors to a coordinate system in which the source is not necessarily on the line through the north pole.

For the angle between the field point and and the source I found:
ψ = arccos(sin(θfield)*sin(θsource)*cos(Ωfieldsource)+cos(θfield)*cos(θsource))

The r-component is unchanged. Calling the vector B, and with ψ being the polar coordinate in its old source-based coordinate system, the θ component becomes:
-(Bψ/(rfield*sin(ψ)))*(sin(θsource)*cos(θfield)*cos(Ωfieldsource)-cos(θsource)*sin(θfield))

However, when I tested it for θsource=0 (so it should reproduce the original result) I had a different answer than before. I had trouble finding a reference. Can you help me find my error, or help me find a reference which uses the same method I can compare this to?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. How do you convert a vector from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert a vector from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y² + z²)
θ = arctan(y/x)
φ = arccos(z/r)

2. What is the difference between a position vector and a displacement vector in spherical coordinates?

A position vector represents the location of a point in space relative to a fixed origin, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of an object from its initial location to its final location.

3. How do you find the magnitude and direction of a vector in spherical coordinates?

The magnitude of a vector in spherical coordinates is given by the length of the radius (r). To find the direction, you can use the angles θ and φ, which represent the azimuth and elevation angles respectively.

4. Can a vector have negative components in spherical coordinates?

Yes, a vector can have negative components in spherical coordinates. This can occur when the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive axis for one or more of the coordinates (r, θ, φ).

5. How do you transform a vector from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert a vector from spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), use the following formulas:
x = r sin(φ) cos(θ)
y = r sin(φ) sin(θ)
z = r cos(φ)