Motor with variable angular speed

In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding or building a motor with a variable angular speed that is dependent on the angle of rotation (measured between 1 to 89 degrees) following the function of f(1/sin(theta)). They suggest using a potentiometer and circuitry to achieve the desired voltage across the motor terminals, or using a data acquisition card and programming to control the voltage output. They admit to not having experience in this area.
agrafa
I am interested in the fllowing issue and I would appreciate any help:
I need a motor that has a variable angular speed. To be more exact: the angular speed needs to be a f(1/sin(theta)) where theta is the angle of rotation varying between 1 to 89 degrees.
Does anyone know if this type of motor exist in the market? or: does anyone know how could I build it myself?
Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
i would guess what you need to do is to measure the angle that the motor shaft is at (using a potentiometer) and then come up with some circutry which would take the voltage reading from the potentiometer and convert it to the voltage you need to have across the motor terminals to achiever the speed you want. or if you didnt want to build circutry you could plug the poteniometer output into some sort of data aquisition card and then write a programme to ouptut a voltage on the aquisitoion card and then wire your motor to this output.
anyhoo i don't know if this is any help. I've never done nething like it!

There are definitely motors available in the market that have variable angular speed capabilities. These types of motors are known as variable speed motors and are commonly used in applications that require precise control over the speed of rotation. The specific requirement of having an angular speed that is a function of 1/sin(theta) may be more difficult to find, but it is possible that there are customizable options available from certain manufacturers.

If you are unable to find a motor with this specific function, you may be able to build it yourself by using a combination of a motor and a variable frequency drive (VFD). The VFD allows for precise control over the speed of the motor by adjusting the frequency of the electricity supplied to it. You may also need to incorporate a feedback system to monitor the angle of rotation and adjust the speed accordingly.

It is important to note that building a custom motor can be complex and may require specific knowledge and skills. It is recommended to consult with a professional or experienced engineer before attempting to build it yourself. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly research and understand the safety precautions and regulations involved in building and using a motor.

What is a motor with variable angular speed?

A motor with variable angular speed is a type of electric motor that is designed to change its rotational speed based on the needs of the system it is powering. This is achieved through the use of variable frequency drives or other control mechanisms.

What are the advantages of using a motor with variable angular speed?

There are several advantages to using a motor with variable angular speed. It allows for more precise control over the speed of the motor, which can help improve efficiency and reduce wear and tear. It also allows for energy savings and can help prevent overloading of the system.

How does a motor with variable angular speed work?

A motor with variable angular speed works by adjusting the frequency of the electrical input to the motor. This changes the speed of the rotating magnetic field, which in turn changes the speed of the motor's rotor. The frequency can be adjusted using a variable frequency drive or other control mechanism.

What are some common applications of motors with variable angular speed?

Motors with variable angular speed are commonly used in industrial applications, such as conveyor systems, pumps, and fans. They are also used in appliances, such as refrigerators and washing machines, to control the speed of the motor based on the load and desired function.

What factors should be considered when selecting a motor with variable angular speed?

When selecting a motor with variable angular speed, it is important to consider the required torque and speed, as well as the power supply and control mechanism. The type of load and the expected duty cycle should also be taken into account to ensure the motor is properly sized for the application.