Solving Hybridisation: 2pz, 2px, sp3, 2py Bonds

In summary, the problem asks to determine if pairs of orbitals (2pz, 2py, 2px, sp3) overlap to form a σ bond, π bond, or no bond at all along the z-axis. The solutions are: (a) 2pz and 2pz form a σ bond, (b) 2py and 2px form a π bond, (c) sp3 and 2pz do not form a bond, and (d) 2py and 2py form a σ bond. These solutions can be determined by considering the axis of the orbitals and the type of overlap that would occur when they approach each other along the z-axis.
pavadrin
The problem is as follows:

Decide if the following pairs of orbitals overlap to form a σ bond, π bond, or no bond at
all. Explain your reasoning in each case, including a sketch of the orbitals. Assume the
bond lies along the z-axis.

(a) 2pz and 2pz
(b) 2py and 2px
(c) sp3 and 2pz
(d) 2py and 2py

And here are what I think the solutions are:

(a) 2pz and 2pz will form a σ bond as they are on the same axis and will over lap end-on-end

(b) 2py and 2px will form a π bond as they will over lap side by side

(c) sp3 and 2pz will not form a bond as the next hybridisation is sp3d orbital which contains an electron from a d orbital

(d) 2py and 2py will form a σ bond as they are on the same axis and will over lap end-on-end

If these are wrong could, could you please hint to why, and if I have managed to get something from the textbook (i.e., they are right) could you please help with expanding on the ideas.

Many thanks for your time and replies
pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
pavadrin said:
...(d) 2py and 2py will form a σ bond as they are on the same axis and will over lap end-on-end

Remember the question stated...
Assume the bond lies along the z-axis.

It might help to draw a picture of these two orbitals approaching each other along the z axis and then determine what type of interaction you might expect.

thank you, i have now solved the problem as i didn't quite understand what the problem was asking
and i realized i have posted this in wrong section of the forum, sorry

1. What is hybridisation and why is it important in chemistry?

Hybridisation is the mixing of atomic orbitals to form new hybrid orbitals with different characteristics. It is important in chemistry because it explains the shapes and properties of molecules, as well as their reactivity and bonding.

2. How do 2pz, 2px, and 2py orbitals differ from each other?

The 2pz, 2px, and 2py orbitals differ in their orientation in space. The 2pz orbital points along the z-axis, while the 2px and 2py orbitals point along the x-axis and y-axis, respectively.

3. What does the "sp3" notation in hybridisation represent?

The "sp3" notation in hybridisation represents the combination of one s orbital and three p orbitals to form four equivalent hybrid orbitals.

4. How does hybridisation affect the bond angles in a molecule?

Hybridisation affects the bond angles in a molecule by changing the spatial arrangement of the hybrid orbitals. This leads to different bond angles, which can affect the molecule's stability and reactivity.

5. Can you give an example of a molecule with sp3 hybridisation?

One example of a molecule with sp3 hybridisation is methane (CH4). The carbon atom in methane forms four equivalent sp3 hybrid orbitals to bond with four hydrogen atoms, resulting in a tetrahedral shape with bond angles of 109.5 degrees.