Hybrid Electric Transit Bus Powertrain Design

In summary, the conversation is about sizing the motor for a hybrid electric bus and determining the rated power of the motor using a lengthy equation. The person has questions about the approach and variables to use in the equation, such as the final and vehicle speeds. They also mention the need for experimental data to determine the power required to overcome drag and friction, accelerate, and climb hills.
pchoopanya
Hello,

I am in the beginning of sizing all the components in the powertrain and really need your help;

I am trying to size the motor for a hybrid eletric bus

All articles I have read so far mention one lengthy equation that to know the rated power of the motor, one mush use;

PEM = [M(Vf2 + Vb2)/2ta] + ... + ...

Where Vf = the final vehicle speed

Vb = Vehicle base speed

ta = time to accelerate from 0 m/s to the desired speed

here are my questions;

1. In sizing the electric motor for traction application (to be used with a bus), am I in the correct direction? If not, what is the approach?

2. By saying the rated power of motor, does it actually meanthe maximum power that the motor could provide?

3. About the Vf, final velocity of vehicle >>> I am not sure what to use, could it be only sigle value which is the maximum speed of a bus which is 60 kph? Do I need other intermediate values, like 0-10 kph, 0-20 kph, 0-30 kph

However, the bus will have to operate most frequently in 0-40 kph region, shall I use Vf = 40 kph instead?

4. About the Vb, I understand the definition of motor base speed, but in the equation I need the vehicle speed, don't I? So, where do I find this value? What does this value depend upon?

Thank you very much

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes rated does mean maximum. Once you calculate the required power, you find a motor that can provide at least that much, possibly more.

There are three considerations:
  1. Power to overcome drag and friction at maximum bus speed. This can not be calculated, you need to determine it by experiment.
  2. Power to accelerate. Those equations you cite are for that. If top speed is 50, how many seconds to accelerate from 0 to 50?
  3. Power to climb hills. You need to determine the steepest hill and the highest speed you will require from the bus. Then use poer=force*velocity where force is the weight of the bus and load, velocity is the vertical speed of the bus, not the horizontal.

What is a hybrid electric transit bus powertrain?

A hybrid electric transit bus powertrain is a type of propulsion system for buses that combines both an internal combustion engine and an electric motor. The powertrain is designed to optimize fuel efficiency and reduce emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option for public transportation.

How does a hybrid electric transit bus powertrain work?

A hybrid electric transit bus powertrain works by using a combination of electricity and gasoline to power the bus. The electric motor is used during low-speed operations, such as stop-and-go city driving, while the gasoline engine is used for higher speeds. The powertrain also uses regenerative braking, which captures energy from braking and stores it in the battery for later use.

What are the benefits of a hybrid electric transit bus powertrain?

There are several benefits to using a hybrid electric transit bus powertrain. These include reduced fuel consumption and emissions, improved air quality, and lower operating costs for transit agencies. The powertrain also allows for a quieter and smoother ride for passengers.

What are the main components of a hybrid electric transit bus powertrain?

The main components of a hybrid electric transit bus powertrain include the internal combustion engine, electric motor, battery pack, and control system. The engine and motor work together to power the bus, while the battery pack stores energy for later use. The control system manages the flow of power between the various components for optimal efficiency.

How is the powertrain design optimized for a hybrid electric transit bus?

The powertrain design for a hybrid electric transit bus is optimized through careful engineering and testing. This includes selecting the most efficient engine and motor, determining the optimal size and placement of the battery pack, and creating a control system that maximizes the use of electricity. The design also takes into consideration the weight and size limitations of the bus to ensure it can operate safely and efficiently on the road.