Want to become a teacher, where to start?

• Thread starter Overkill777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary: You can research online courses and find a program that meets your needs and schedule. If you have military experience, it can help you get started in the teaching profession.
Overkill777
I've recently had a revelation in my life that has filled me with desire to become a teacher.
***I apologized for the life story, my questions come in the very last paragraph.***

When I was in high school I never had any direction or any idea of what I wanted to do with my life until my senior year when I took physics. It blew my mind. I was always good at math but it never appealed to me until then when I learned how much it could be applied to the real world.

When I got to college it didn't take long before I decided to major in Engineering Physics. This is a more applied physics major. I put my elective credit hours towards physics classes so I covered everything a regular physics major covers as well. I graduated with a 3.9 GPA in physics classes, so that shows I am at least passionate about the subject.

When I graduated I still didn't know exactly where I wanted to go in life. I knew I didn't want to go directly into grad school because I needed a break from college. The economy was really bad at the time. Although I got offered a position to work at the particle accelerator at Michigan State, I always had a calling to serve in the military so I enlisted in the US Army with a contract to go to Officer Candidate School after basic training. I made it through basic and OCS as an honor graduate and became a Lieutenant in the Engineer branch. I became a platoon leader of a construction platoon which is where I am now.

I never deployed and the way things are now it doesn't look like I will. That being said, a unit in the army that is not deployed usually doesn't do much of anything but training. Most training is conducted by experienced non-commissioned officers (NCOs) but there are a few things I have learned as an officer that the NCOs aren't very familiar with. This perspective has given me the opportunity to get out there and teach my Soldiers and NCOs some things they otherwise would not have understood.

This opportunity has made me realize how rewarding teaching is! I never realized it before but I love teaching as much as I love learning, especially if it's a subject I am passionate and knowledgeable about. I know that teaching in school is a lot different from training Soldiers but I feel that the passion for sharing knowledge will remain the same.

I would like to get certified and teach high school physics because I am as passionate about physics as I am anything else! From there I would like to eventually get a masters degree and branch out, maybe to teach high school algebra and/or calculus, maybe move up to teach at a community college.

My question is, with about one year left in the Army, what can I do now to start preparing myself and working towards teacher certification? I was considering taking some online classes and maybe doing some volunteering at a local high school. The only downside is I don't have very much free time, as a platoon leader my schedule is very demanding. I am currently stationed in Hawaii and plan on moving to Kentucky (Lexington area) when I get out.

Any advice or thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
If you served for 6 or more years, see the following:
http://www.kyepsb.net/certification/veterancert.asp

Otherwise, find what most fits you here:
http://www.kyepsb.net/certification/certaltroutes.asp

Since Physics teachers are in very high demand, it is likely that you can get in through an alternate route (without going through graduate school in education).

Dear fellow forum user,

First of all, congratulations on your recent revelation and desire to become a teacher! It sounds like you have a strong passion for physics and teaching, and I have no doubt that you will make a great teacher.

As for your question about preparing for teacher certification, there are definitely some steps you can take now to start working towards that goal. Taking online classes and volunteering at a local high school are great ideas, and can give you valuable experience and knowledge in the education field.

Another suggestion would be to reach out to local schools or school districts in the Lexington area and inquire about any teacher training or certification programs they may offer. They may also have information on any alternative certification routes for individuals with a background in a specific subject, such as physics.

Additionally, you could also start studying for any required exams, such as the Praxis or state-specific certification tests. This can help you feel more prepared and confident when it comes time to apply for teaching positions.

Lastly, I would recommend networking with current teachers or education professionals in the area. They may have valuable insights and advice on the process of becoming certified and finding a teaching position in the Lexington area.

Best of luck on your journey towards becoming a teacher! Your passion and dedication will surely make a positive impact on students' lives.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a teacher?

To become a teacher, you will need a Bachelor's degree in education or a related field, as well as a teaching certification from your state or country. Some states may also require teachers to pass a subject-specific exam.

2. Should I specialize in a certain subject or grade level?

This depends on your personal interests and strengths. Some teachers prefer to specialize in a specific subject, while others enjoy teaching a range of subjects. Similarly, some teachers may prefer to work with younger students, while others may prefer older students. It is important to consider your strengths and interests when deciding on a specialization.

3. How do I gain practical experience as a teacher?

Many teacher preparation programs include a student-teaching component, where you will work alongside an experienced teacher in a classroom setting. You can also gain experience by volunteering or working as a substitute teacher. Additionally, some schools offer internships or mentorship programs for aspiring teachers.

4. What are the steps to becoming a certified teacher?

The specific steps to becoming a certified teacher may vary depending on your state or country, but generally, you will need to complete a Bachelor's degree, pass any required exams, and complete a teacher preparation program. After completing these requirements, you can apply for a teaching certification from your state or country.

5. How do I stay up-to-date on current teaching methods and practices?

As a teacher, it is important to continuously learn and grow in your profession. You can stay up-to-date on current teaching methods and practices by attending professional development workshops or conferences, networking with other teachers, and staying informed through educational publications and resources.