Finding Angles for Conic Section

In summary, to find the angles to rotate a hyperbola with the equation x^2+4xy+y^2=12, you can write the equation in a matrix form and diagonalize the symmetric matrix. This technique may be new, but it is the most effective way to solve this problem.
splac6996
I have a hyperbola with the following equation and I am trying to find my angles to eventually rotate this (conic section), but I don't know what to do because when I follow the standard form of (A-C)/B, I get zero. Is there some trick that I don't know about.

x^2+4xy+y^2=12

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you can write the equation in this way
[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
x & y
\end{array} \right]
\cdot
\left[ \begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2 \\
2 & 1
\end{array} \right]
\cdot
\left[ \begin{array}{c}
x \\ y
\end{array} \right] = 12
[/tex]

Now, you have to diagonalize the symmetric matrix
[tex]
A = \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2 \\
2 & 1
\end{array} \right]
[/tex]

Then, see this!

I have never seen this technique before is that the only way to do this?

1. What is a conic section?

A conic section is a curve that is created when a plane intersects a cone. The four types of conic sections are circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. How do you find the angle of a conic section?

The angle of a conic section can be found by using the equation θ = tan⁻¹ (b/a) where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the conic section.

3. What information is needed to find the angle of a conic section?

To find the angle of a conic section, you will need to know the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the conic section. This information can be obtained through the equation a²/b² = e² - 1, where e is the eccentricity of the conic section.

4. Can the angle of a conic section be negative?

Yes, the angle of a conic section can be negative. This can occur when the plane intersects the cone at an angle larger than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for the angle θ.

5. How is finding the angle of a conic section useful in science?

Finding the angle of a conic section is useful in science because it allows us to understand the shape and orientation of various objects in space, such as planets and comets. It also helps us to analyze the trajectories of objects and predict their movements.